Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conexant modem weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalypsoPoet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
US
My home desktop has a Conexant Soft K56 data,fax PCI internal modem. It has worked like a champ (for a dial-up) until now. When I try to sign on to the internet (MSN - ISP), I hear a dial tone and dial-up. The dial-up is much louder than before and slightly distorted. Then, instead of a handshake, I get 2-3 rings and a message saying "Your call cannot be completed as dialed" or "Your call did not go through. Please check the number and call again". I've eliminated everything up to the modem. I will update the driver from HP (I have a Pavilion) for this modem, but I have a sneaky suspension that this will not take care of the problem. My first instinct is that my modem may be fried, but then it seems more likely that the dial-up procedure is out of whack. Anyone have any ideas or actually experienced this?
Thanks

Check DUN properties. I'll bet it's trying to dial using 1-area code-xxx-xxxx... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I wish it was that easy. That was one of the 1st things at which I looked. Makes sense, but unfortunately not the problem. Thanks for the response anyway.

Sounds like the driver has been corrupted, and the AT commands sent to initialize the modem are not working right.
A driver install/reinstall should fix it up.
If not, remove DUN from add/remove programs > windows setup tab, and restart the computer.
Go to Start > Run > and type in: inetwiz
This will reinstall DUN, and create a new connection.
HTH Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Is your modem dialing a local or long distance number? The reason I ask is I live in PA where they just recently (in the past couple of days) implemented 10-digit dialing (you MUST dial the area code even for local numbers)...might that be the case in your area?

Just a thought...:)

I doublechecked and we are still using a 7 digit dial up locally. Tried all of the above to no avail. Even tried to connect over a manual connection - no dice. I'm not sure my modem is toast, but I'm not sure what to try next. I guess I'll put in a different modem and see if it works. Good for bad. Any other ideas out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back