Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conexant Modem giving blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fomaco

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
US
Have been trying to install a Conexant Modem but when I try to detect the modem the computer gives a blue screen with a fault to win32ac.vxd. I have installed and uninstalled drivers and installed again always with the same problem. Anybody have an idea how to solve this?

You could try this. I really don't know if it will cure this problem but it's worth a try.

Firstly, backup your registry. Then got to START, RUN, and type REGEDIT. Double click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, below it you will see a subsection called Enum, double click it to expand it. Do the same to the one marked PCI, you should now see some keys marked VEN_*******, expand each one and below it you will see another key marked BUS_******. Expand that key and each one will show you a name and data in the right-hand pane. One of those is your modem and the name will be clear. Now delete the key marked BUS_*******. Reboot, and Win98 will install your modem

I hope it works.
Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Phil, The fault I am getting is a win95ac.vxd not win32ac sorry about that. Do you think what you suggested will still work? I'm about to give up on it.

It's worth a try!
Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

If this computer is running Win95, what are the specs? CPU/RAM/Speed, etc...?
If the "enum" tick doesn't solve it, I have quite a few more ideas. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Clearing the enum did not work. Thanks for the suggestion though. This is an older emachine 466mhz celeron 256 mb 8.4g 64mb dram. It does not have win95 it has win98. Install puts modem on com 1 and does not read it says to make sure irq and interupt are properly configured, they are near as I can tell. Com 2 is what gets the blue screen but modem has worked there before. Hope I have given you what you need to help.

Whilst I have a ponder, would Jim like to chuck his hat in. I've read many of his posts and he makes some very good points. Over to you Jim old chap.

Regards
Phil

Somehow I figured it out. Don't know how but something I did while tinkering worked. Couldn't do it again if you asked me to. All that changed was the last time I installed it, an interupt of 0 came up and the modem detected. I didn't think 0 was a valid interupt, go figure. Thanks for all your help.

It's a shame that you can't exactly recall how you did this, but a cure is a cure. Thanks for telling us, I hate being left in the dark wondering "whatever happened to....", I only wish I could have been of more assistance.
Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the answers we give are helpful to you. Without your feedback we don't know if the answer was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back