Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conexant modem cannot connect to PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulakeno

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
I have been having issues connecting using my laptop's modem to our PBX's remotely. We have changed all our machines from desktop to laptop with conexant based modems. PBX modem will pick up but won't get anything from the PBX. Our laptops does not have a serial ports so using external modems is really not an option. I have tried using a USB to serial adapter to connect my external US robotics modem but the laptop frozes after the modem on the other end answers and have to reboot. Any ideas ?? I also tried using the dial string that is on the FAQ but still unsuccesful.

Thanks.

You just need to mess with your baud and parity settings ... I think the laptop Conexant dafault is 19200 so you likely need to decrease that to 1200 and increase from there up to 9600 (9600 is the most common so you can try that first!) The partiy should be 8-N-1 but you many have some odd one instead like 7-E-0 If you can go back into your old desktop you just need to copy your baud/parity settings. Good luck! Each time you change that setting (at the bottom of the screen) press enter a few times to see if something pops up onscreen.

Tman is correct. Make sure you save the settings in your dialing directory for each system you connect to. I use the same modem on my laptop without issues, but I use Procomm for everything remote.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

I tried changing the baud rates, parity and all other settings that can be changed from the Modem/connection properties on Procomm, but still unsuccesful.

What are the settings on the far end?

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

I have 3 Dell laptops. One with the 110 modem that I got to work with a buffer adjustment. One with a 3com modem that didn't have to touch. Newest laptop has the D330 which no matter what adjustment I made I can't make it work. Go to search for conexant and you'll see the threads. Good luck.

I never tried GHT's fix either. The USR 56K PC Card Modem was still in the old laptop so I retreived it and used it.

>****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back