Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conduit size recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasnortel

Vendor
Dec 24, 2001
US
Can you help me with my request for the correct conduit size for the electrician? I need (24) Cat5e's to feed into a 8 workstation group(3 each), of modular furniture stubbing up from the floor. Where can I find a chart or formula for this? Thanks!

I have found the problem seems to be with the amount of room inside the small area left for cable feed in cubicles themselves for that large of an amount of cables if they are feed from one end.
Also,if there are ever any adds,or heaven forbid,you have to replace one,it is almost impossible to use the same conduit to do so.
I would advise to use a comm pole in the center and feed half going one way and half the other, or half from the end and half from the center,etc.
Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

You can also look at hilti for conduit fill size. They deal mostly in fire protection, but have a pretty good grasp on what should be done as far as conduits go. Remember, take away cable amounts for bends and sweeps, and always plan for spares!
mk

Thanks all! The conduit fill Table is perfect! I think we may be pulling 2 cables instead of 3 now...we'll see if customer wants to pay difference for larger conduit, extra cables, etc.. . Unfortunately, they insist on floor stubbed feeds as they do not want any power poles in the open room. Again, thanks to all!

Rich
Voice Plus

Based on 0.217 OD for CAT5e I get 2"EMT (28% fill and 34 cables max).
In any case, when you drill in exact locations, watch out for rebar problems in floor!

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

I always oversize the conduit when I can because I might be the "next guy" going back there to add two more runs. The only time cables go through a conduit easily is the first time. Maxcell innerduct makes future MACs easier because there is less risk of your adds kinking in the bends and if you don't do that PLEASE leave pull string.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back