Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

conduit for fire alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jd925

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hi, I need advice

In my house i have 3 levels. The basement, first floor and the second floor. I want to run conduit to protect the wires from heat and damage. So if there is a fire there is a better change of the horns working longer. I will describe how I wired this in the begining.

I have 4 horn/strobes

All but one horn/stobe is mounted semi flush on the wall with a pull below it.

There is one horn what is on the hall ceiling.

I have a small space in a wall that has 2, 2 pair wires. One is used for notification the other is for pull/smokes/ heat etc.

I have those to wires come out at a junction box.

At that junction box there are more wires that go to all the devices.

Now what i want to do is run conduit from the panel in the basement upstairs have one junction box on the first floor and then stop at the junction on the 2nd floor.

I want to atleast run coundit to the horn in the hall.

What do i need to know about running conduit what tools do u recomend.

I want to do this before i wire for the second floor. As the second floor will be renovated to be bedrooms now its a huge unfinished attic.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

If you are after thermal protection for the wire, you will get some with EMT conduit, but it transfers heat pretty well. If this really is important to you, you could wrap the conduit with insulation or use heavy wall rigid conduit.

In all honesty, I don't think it is worth the benefit to even run conduit. However if it makes you sleep better at nite, by all means do what ever it takes.

If you are going to run conduit, and haven't done it before, you might just want to hire that part done so you dont have to buy a conduit bender and learn that portion of the job. Might just be easier for you.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Are there other products other than conduit that will still give some protection of the wire?

thanks

Jake;
Fire ratings can be acheived by:
Installing all wires inside wall, using fire rated drywall, sometimes 2 sheets, filling all holes for wires in the studs to prevent fire moving between floors, using plenum (or fire rated cable).
Just some thoughts.

If you want some cable to stand up to fire look into type MI (mineral insulated) cable. MI is commonly used for heating cables but is also used in hazardous locations. Yes, it costs more than romex...

"The inorganic construction of mineral insulated cable makes it extremely fire and heat resistant. With an operating limit equal to the melting point of copper, 1982ºF, 1083ºC - it can easily withstand high temperatures and heavy current overloads. It emits no smoke or toxic substances and allows no flame propagation. In contrast, a third party test proved standard conduit and wire failed at 425ºF. These fireproof properties make it the best choice for connecting motor operated valves, control stations, plant shutdown systems, instruments and power devices that must remain operational under actual fire conditions."

Hey Jake, If you are serious about this, you need to refer to the NEC (National Electrical Code) The NEC is the governing body for residential and commercial wiring. It will answer most of you questions.
You may also order it thru Barnes & Nobles.
Derrick

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back