Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Summary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteKnight2K

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
CA
Hello there. Is there such a thing as a conditional summary? The reason I ask is because i need to display the number of records (trees) such that the tree number is between 1 and 24. I know this can be accomplished with a Running Total but I need to display this number in the Group Header. However, when I insert a Summary, it totals all trees (e.g. 1 - 36) and I need it to just total 1-24. This is why I'm wondering if i can do a conditional summary such that it counts based on if the tree is between 1 and 24? I tried putting a Running Total in the Group Header but that didnt work.

Any help would really be appreciated Thanks!!

Is "tree number" an ID field? Or are you referring already to a count? If it is an ID, then try something like:

if {table.treeID} in 1 to 24 then {table.amt}//or 1 if you are counting

Then you can right click and insert a summary (SUM), and then drag the result to the group header.

It would help to know whether you are totalling some field or doing a record count.

-LB

sorry lbass but thanks for the reply.

What I am trying to do is the following:

The Report section look as follows:

Group Header (contains various fields from database)
Details section is suppressed
Group Footer (also suppressed)

Since I have no Details section, all of the information from the database is being placed in the Group Header...hmm seems like i had a brainwave, while i was typing this. Maybe i can just move all fields from Group Header to the Group Footer...then the Running Total should report correctly. I try that and see if it works.

Thanks again.

Yes, you should be able to just use the group footer.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back