Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Prompts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashridharan

Technical User
Aug 19, 2001
US
Hi All
I have a requirement as follows.

There is a date field and a Bill Number field in my database. now both these objects are present in the universe that i am designing for the report.

The requirement is that when a user tries to execute this universe, a date prompt should come up which has no LOVs from the database. Based on the date entered by the user, the LOV of the bill number object should get populated with only those bill numbers for that corresponding date.

Now, how do i implement a conditional prompt such as above in business objects ???

Thanks in advance
Ashish

Disassociate LOV from date, if feasible. If you need date's LOV later on, you can always create a copy of the date object and use it instead for this trick.

Create a copy of the bill number object (BN2 from this on). In the BN2's "Where" box, create a restriction where billing# date must equal the date returned by a prompt:

Where:
@Select(Date\Date) = @Prompt('Date?',,,,)

Now, edit the List of values of the original Billing number object. Replace BN1 with BN2 in the Result objects box.

Without knowing all the details, it's really hard to say whether this will work for this particular problem.
If billing numbers only have one date, this should suffice, though. Try this and report back, I'm interested in how it works!

MK

Thank u.
It worked splendidly. There is only one problem though. The date prompt pops twice.
I have specified an 'Automatic Refresh' flag for the bill number object. And i wrote exactly the same thing as u suggested for the Bill Number object.

Now, when i run the query, i specify the bill number again in the condition box, because that is going to act as my filter in the report. So when i run it, i get a Bill Number and Date prompt. When i fill out both and then click on the 'Values' button for the Bill Number LOV, i get another date prompt due to the automatic refresh flag in the Bill Number object.

Other than this, the entire thing works smoothly.
Any further ideas to rid this problem are welcome.
Thanks Again
Ashish

Hi Ashish,
I got same requirement as yours that is i have two prompts and other prompt should show list of values depending upon the value in the first prompt.I too get same thing as u mentioned in your reply that date prompt pop up twice.
Could u please let me know how to avoid that date prompt popping up twice.Any ways like VBA etc.
Plss thanks very much
Samik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back