Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional layout? Question and tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubenVanDenOord

Programmer
May 26, 2003
NL
Is it possible -like in Excel- to define conditional lay-out in FP5.5Dev?

What I try to do is this:
1. In my lay-out "preferences" I've made fields with the following names: Tab1, Tab2, Tab 3 etc.

2. In my user lay-outs I merge the fields as discribed and set the merged fields as buttons. This way I only have to change the Tab names in my preferences lay-out to change all my tabs in the database. (Of course you can lay the merged field over a cool button graphic too, that way all your facny buttons are changed in a heartbeat. Unfortunally the next step can not be done IMHO)

3. So far, so good. Nothing fancy yet.

4. Here comes the tricky part: If a field (e.g. Tab3) is empty, I'd rather show the merged field transparent so it becomes "invisible". BUT when I add a Tab name in the Tab3 field, I want the merged field shown blue (or red for that matter)

I admit, I'm more a designer than a programmer ;-)

Anyone who's new to this technique of tab-programming, I'm happy to send him an example file. Just my 2 cents...

Hi Ruben!
All is good...I was refering to how u store images...but I am sure u can just insert them directly into DB and keep them there since there will be only so many image ur going to use....therfor u can estimate the size of .jpg.gif
In the other post I was referenig to recrods (1000s) where each one has an image (eg. Inventory of items) ; but in your case I would actually insert images directly since it will give you easier "transport" of the DB ( not having to reference images and folders where they are stored)

p.s. ::click here:: is the sig :)

> need more info?
:: click here ::

okay, I've skimmed the responses and didn't see what I expected- I didn't download the samples, but if sounds like the better advise through the @#$#$@# was to calc the graphic. This works and is not a bad appraoch, but you should also have the FMP disappearing portal trick in your bag. FMP only will display the contents of a portal if the realtionship is valid. So if you but the graphic in the portal (only the upper left position matter), then you can turn it on and off buy changing the key field. Let's say the realtionship is 'names tab 3 display'. It will be a self-joined relationship (both to the same file) and will realte when Constant = Tab 3 Display.

If constant is always '1', which is a given, then all you need to do is change the value in 'Tab 3 Display' from 1 or 0 to make it disappear. As an added feature this could be done via a calculation or the set field script step. Do a Google search for 'FileMaker Pro Disappearing Portal', You should find multiple samples, if not let be know and I can create one for you. I use them all the time to control access within a database. If your user doesn't have access to a feature, I take away to button so that it is out of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back