Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shtinky

MIS
Nov 14, 2003
US
DB2/Crysal 8.5 SP3

Hello,
I am working on a delivery receipt report for a transportation company. I am having a little bit of a problem with a Hazardous materials description that I'm trying to create. Each and every good that is defined as Hazardous by the United Nations is given a unique "UN" number (UN3270 for example). Each UN number has a bunch of different descriptions and classes, depending on the type of hazardous material.

Here is my formula:
{UNCODES.SHIPPING_NAME} + "," + " " + {UNCODES.CLASS} + "." + {UNCODES.SUBSIDIARY_CLASS} + "," + " " +{UNCODES.UN_NUMBER} + "," + " " + "PG" + " " +{UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP}

Here is the result:
NITROCELLULOSE MEMBRANE FILTERS, with not more than 12.6 percent nitrogen, by dry mass, 4.1, UN3270, PG II

But, there's a bit of a problem and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it. Not all UN Numbers have the same level of description. A good example is that not all UN codes have a {UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP} number. I am trying to figure out a way to make a particular piece of this string dissapear when a particular field is null. Does that make sense?

So if I have a UN number that does not have a {UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP} number, the result looks like this:

AEROSOLS, containing compressed oxygen, 2.2, UN1950A, PG

In this case, since {UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP} is null, I'd like the "PG" portion of the string to suppress. Is this sort of thing possible?

Instead, I'd like it to read like this:
AEROSOLS, containing compressed oxygen, 2.2, UN1950A

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

The shtinkster

Sure, try:

if isnull({UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP})
or
trim({UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP}) = "" then
{UNCODES.SHIPPING_NAME} + "," + " " + {UNCODES.CLASS} + "." + {UNCODES.SUBSIDIARY_CLASS} + "," + " " +{UNCODES.UN_NUMBER}
else
{UNCODES.SHIPPING_NAME} + "," + " " + {UNCODES.CLASS} + "." + {UNCODES.SUBSIDIARY_CLASS} + "," + " " +{UNCODES.UN_NUMBER} + "," + " " + "PG" + " " +{UNCODES.PACKING_GROUP}

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back