Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Formatting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendue

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2009
US
I am using Excel 2007 and I want to use conditional formatting to make a number in various cells in column M bold where a text description next to it in column L has the word "TOTAL" within the line of text.

I am able to make the text in column L bold for descriptions that contain the word "TOTAL", but I also want to bold the corresponding dollar amount in column M.

Can anyone help me with the solution? I've explored the "Help" files in Excel with no success.

hi,

You must SELECT the range you want formatted and then apply the CF formula with reference to the FIRST ROW of the selection, referencing the COLUMN containing TOTAL as ABSOLUTE.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

I believe I need to write a formula within the Conditional Format rule that identifies the description cell and then applies the correct format to a different cell next to it. I don't know the correct syntax for writing that formula, but in pseudo syntax, I believe it should be something like: =If cell L9 contains "TOTAL", make cell M9 BOLD. My problem is framing the correct syntax for the "contains" comparison.

I did try following your response above, but was unable to make any headway.

[tt]
=Find($L9,"TOTAL")>0
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

sorry, I switched the arguments in error
[tt]
=Find(TOTAL",$L9,)>0
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

and a stray COMMA [blush]
[tt]
=Find(TOTAL",$L9)>0
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

Hi again Skip,

This formula works if the only word in the description is "TOTAL", but not where there are ADDITIONAL words in the description. I need a "contains" function within the formula to make the formula work.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Skip,

I responded before I saw your last correction. NOW it works as I needed.

Thanks for your help on this. I want to give you a star, but I don't see where to do so... has that been eliminated?[thumbsup2]

its there, big as life

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back