Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Format entire Column 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelby55

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
CA
Hi

I'm fairly new to Excel and I'm using 2002.

My worksheet has a column denoting months, baseline figure, target figure, actual figure for the month. The % difference between actual and target is the final column E.

I want the entire column E to be a conditional format indicating that if 0% to 5% then red, 5.1 to 9.9% then yellow and >9.9% be green.

I know how to do conditional formatting for single cell but I can't seem to get it to work selecting whole column - all help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It's exactly the same. Once you've selected the whole column, enter the conditions as you would for a single cell.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

hi,
I know how to do conditional formatting for single cell but I can't seem to get it to work selecting whole column
1. Select all cells you want to apply the CF to.

2. Use Formula Is: not Cell Value is:

3. CF using the cell value in the FIRST row of the selection. Make sure that you have the appropriate Absolute/Relative reference.

Your CF will be applies to each cell/row in the selection.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Hi

Thanks for the speedy replies. I'm confused by the absolute/relative reference.

For example cell E4 will be =(B4-D4)/B4 and cell E5 will be =(B5-D5)/B5 etc. so how does that translate into what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.

if E4 is the FIRST cell in your range AND the cells in column E are the ONLY cells being CFed, then...
[tt]
Condition1: RED =(B4-D4)/B4<=.05
Condition2: YELLOW =(B4-D4)/B4<=.099
Condition3: GREEN =(B4-D4)/B4<.099
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

Hey Skip,

if the calculations are already in the cells, surely using "Cell Value Is" is better than using "Formula Is"? Or am I getting confused?

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Probably, but I almost always use formula is.

Skip,
[sub]

Also, I was not sure if the OP meant that the CELL VALUE has the formula or that formual was what the OP was using in the CF.

Skip,
[sub]

Hi

Thanks everybody...I did as Skip suggested to use the "formula" while selecting the whole column. Originally it wasn't working but then I saw Skip's comments about using 0.99 - I was using the whole number which is why it wasn't working! So now it's good - thanks again!!

Hi

Sorry but one more thing: how can I get it so that the conditional formatting doesn't occur where no data is in the cell?

Right now it shows green for all the cells without entries. Thanks.

do this for each, assuming that E4 has your percentage value...
Code:
=AND(E4<=.05,not(isblank(E4)))
=AND(E4<=.099,not(isblank(E4)))
=AND(E4>.099,not(isblank(E4)))

Skip,
[sub]

Format one cell then copy and "paste special" "formats" to other cells.

gigahertz as suggested yet another means of propogating the CF.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back