Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conditional Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samulayo

Programmer
Aug 13, 2002
GB
I am producing a time recording database for a large company and have a front end installed on each computer for accessing the backend data. The front-end timesheet entry is basically a single record form with a continuous record subform linked via a replicationID produced on the first form.
I require two totals in the footer of the subform, one for invoiceable hours and one for non invoiceable hours.
The subform has 3 combo boxes for choosing the project that hours are being booked to and then text boxes for mon-sun; with the hidden field of invoiceable (dictated by the 3 rd combo box) and a foreign key.
I am unable to find a way to calculate totals for only the projects that are invoiceable and those that are not on continuous forms. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Samulayo

Well, I think you are going to have to use either the Domain aggregate functions, or open a recordset in ADO to do the calc...if you are just summing a field, it's relatively easy, but once you want to do it conditionally, you have to either use DSum or open a recordset using the sum function with the appropriate criteria. Also, remember that you will need to save the current rec before doing that, or it won't be included.

HTH
Ben

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Is there a reason you couldn't just cycle through using code and do the calculation that way?

Thank you for your replies, I have decided to proceed by having a the user enter the data to a temporary table and using the DSum() command on that, and when the user presses 'submit' the data will be written to the main table using an append query.

Regards

Samulayo

Ok, make sure to have the db set to Compact on Close...it's going to get big if you are moving data back & forth between tables like that...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back