Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concurrent Connection Limits, protection from surpassing, planning for

Status
Not open for further replies.

10west

Programmer
Apr 7, 2010
US
I'm sure concurrent connections limitations are possibly an issue if a web expects a giant wave of traffic from a specifically planned promotion.
I'm not an IT expert, or even close, but was wondering if there are techniques or subject matter I can research to protect a web from losing traffic due to this issue.
I have a friend who is concerned that his current limit is going to be overwhelmed, and I want to inform him correctly. Thanks for any info, links, articles, ideas.

Are there any other issues which could bomb traffic at the threshold from his site?

He is currently on Goddady, or possibly a .bok hosted type store/host in one, which probably has an affect on limits, or other things.

All the tuning parameters are on the server end, which means if he is hosted he probably cannot change any of them.

We typically twiddle MaxClients, ServerLimit, MaxRequestsPerChild, ListenBackLog, MaxSpareServers, MinSpareServers in Apache, and a host of OS related stuf like NumProcs, file descriptors, tcp timeout settings, etc.

Thanks, thought an upgrade might be in order where he can specify those settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back