Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concatenation

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSQL

Technical User
May 17, 2005
GB
Can anyone help, im trying to concatenate data together. However im not getting the correct results.

What I have is a productiondate which I want to take the year and month and concatenate together.

eg

I've tried:

select cast(year(productiondate as varchar)) & cast(month(productiondate as varchar))
from table1

What am i doing wrong?

try using a + not a &

Code:
select (cast(year(productiondate as varchar)) + cast(month(productiondate as varchar))) AS yearmonthcat
from table1

Sean. [peace]

How 'bout [!]convert(varchar(6), datecolumn, 112)[/!]?

------
[small]select stuff(stuff(replicate('<P> <B> ', 14), 109, 0, '<.'), 112, 0, '/')[/small]
[banghead]

Code:
select cast(year(productiondate as varchar)) & cast(month(productiondate as varchar))
from table1

First, forgot the close-parenthesis after "productiondate" in the YEAR and MONTH function calls and second follow sean4e's advice about the "+" instead of "&" (which is used to do a logical order, not concatenation).

select cast(year(productiondate) as varchar(4)) + cast(month(productiondate) as varchar(2)) + cast(day(productiondate) as varchar(2))
from table1

If you choose vongrunt's solution, make the varchar size 8 {convert(varchar(8), productiondate, 112)}, otherwise you'll only get back year and month (e.g. convert(varchar(6), getdate(), 112) returns "200603" for today...).

The convert-112 will give you leading zeros for the month and day values, so if you don't want them, use the first code in blue, otherwise, the convert-112 is cleaner and more efficient.

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back