Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concatenation of variable in Stored Proc

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcdaveh

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
US
I have a stored proc with some variables being passed in. The variable that I'm having difficulty with is a string or nvarchar. You'll see the variable and the location of where it needs to be placed highlighted in blue. I just need to know how to properly place the variable in the Stored Proc.

CREATE PROCEDURE upBertieTab @BeginDate Datetime, @EndDate Datetime,@Chain nvarchar AS
--@CBO nvarchar,@CBO nvarchar, @ServiceLine nvarchar
SELECT dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.StatsDateToday, dbo.vChains_Sort_Asc.CHAIN, dbo.vCBO_Sort_Asc.CBO,
dbo.[Service Line Master].[Service Line ID], dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[Client No], dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[Client Name],
dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[MTD Placement No], dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[MTD Placement Dollars],
dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[MTD Collected Dollars], dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[MTD Collected Fees],
dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[YTD Placement No], dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[YTD Placement Dollars],
dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[YTD Collected Dollars], dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[YTD Collected Fees],
dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.Daily_Placements, dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.Daily_Dollars, dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.Daily_Collections,
dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.Daily_Fees, dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.ProgramGenerated, dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.RecordDate,
dbo.[Client Master].[Client Name] AS Expr1, dbo.[Service Line Master].[Service Line Description]
FROM dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds INNER JOIN
dbo.[Client Master] ON dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.[Client No] = dbo.[Client Master].[Client No] INNER JOIN
dbo.vCBO_Sort_Asc ON dbo.[Client Master].CBO = dbo.vCBO_Sort_Asc.CBO INNER JOIN
dbo.vChains_Sort_Asc ON dbo.[Client Master].Chain = dbo.vChains_Sort_Asc.CHAIN INNER JOIN
dbo.[Service Line Master] ON dbo.[Client Master].[Service Line] = dbo.[Service Line Master].[Service Line ID]
WHERE (dbo.tblStatsHistory_MonthEnds.StatsDateToday BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, @BeginDate, 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME,@EndDate, 102)) AND (dbo.vChains_Sort_Asc.CHAIN LIKE N'%') AND (dbo.vCBO_Sort_Asc ) AND
(dbo.[Service Line Master].[Service Line ID] LIKE N'%')
ORDER BY dbo.vCBO_Sort_Asc.CBO

CREATE PROCEDURE <procedure_name>
<@param1> <datatype_for_param1>
<@param2> <datatype_for_param2> .. etc

AS

procedure code here...

I thank you for your reply. However, If you look at the text of the stored procedure I have above you'll note that I know how to pass in and declare variables. I need to place the blue highlight variable in place of the key word
LIKE N'%' also highlight in blue. Just placing the variable in the statement fails.

I haven't had to pass a variable of type nvarchar before.

Did you try ?
dbo.vChains_Sort_Asc.CHAIN LIKE N'%' + @chain

Regards,
AA

I would like to add that whenever you use nvarchar, varchar, nchar or char, you should ALWAYS specify the length of the variable.

Code:
CREATE PROCEDURE upBertieTab  
    @BeginDate Datetime, 
    @EndDate Datetime,
    @Chain nvarchar[red](100)[/red] AS

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

You can always use the execute command to execute a prepared string that evaluates to a valid sequence of Transact_SQL commands, for example
Code:
EXEC ('SELECT * FROM ' + @tablename)

Thank you all I finally got it to work with a combination of all your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back