Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONCATENATE IN EXCEL... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvain

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
CA
HI

I have a worksheet with 5 column and approx 750 rows
I would like to get an xtra column that will take the value of my first 2 columns

Like if in B2 i have the last name and in C2 i have the first name, i would like to get the complete name in another column

Is it possible to get it done with 1 formula for the complete sheet, for now i am able to do it with the concatenate function but it work only line by line

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure I understand completely.

If you use =C2&" "&B2 in cell F2, then copy the formula for all 750 rows, will that work for you???

Yes it will

But i toutgh that there was a way to create a formula without pasting it to all my rows

Type the formula in the first row, then press enter to accept the changes. Select that cell again. There will be a small dark box at the lower right part of the cell called the AutoFill handle. Click on that, hold, and drag down. That copies the formula to the other cells.

Notice that the cell references (such as C2) will become C3, C4 etc. If that isn't what you want, post again.

Hope this helps,
Dan

In order to get the name formula to work, you must copy it to all 750 rows. There is no way to create a "calculated column" in Excel.

Hi.

DanIT has got it right. However, I'd like to add that if there is data in the adjacent cells in that column, just double-clicking on that little box will copy it down for you without dragging.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back