Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concantenating strings from different tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanTro

Programmer
Nov 30, 2000
US
Hope this has a simple answer.

I have 2 tables in a database. one table has an identifying record, such as the number 102. My report queries this table and produces that record in the correct location. I have a description in a second table, and I need to show this on the report.

ex "102 - Swimming" with the " - " added in the formula.

What would be the best way to pull this off? My report is already showing the correct data, I just need to add this data to the report and I am done.

Thanks

Hi JanTro,
You can add a second table to your report by choosing Database|Add Database to Report and follow the prompts from there. You will need to link the two tables together by a common field. As far as concattenating the fields create a formula:

Table1.field1 + ' - ' + Table2.field2

Hope this helps. :)

LindaC
lcastner@co.orange.ny.us

Thanks, It was almost that simple. I needed to do an inner join, but I had different data types. Once I resolved that I was fine. Only problem I have now is that if one of the fields returned is empty, nothing will print.

Thanks again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back