Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coms Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waidesworld

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
US
I installed NT4.0 today on a new machine. When I go to the port settings in the Control Panel>Ports Com1 is set to 3F8, IRQ4 and COM2 is set to default on both. In the BIOS I have set the Serial Port settings to Auto in both instances. However when I reboot the system, I get an event message ID3 saying the settings for Com1 have been "changed by teh operator" and I go back to the control panel to see COM2 set at Default and COM1 at 3F8, IRQ4. Why does this happen?

Change the settings in the bios from Auto (ie manually asign ) and problem should stop. Remember NT is not a Plug & Play OS

Tried that and tried it again this morning and same result.

Remember, if you just set the settings in the BIOS, NT might think that you changed them again, and give you the same problem. When you startup next time, does it do it again? If not, then I think oaklea gave you the right solution. If not, what oaklea said was still right, but you might have some other issue. Try recreating the ports in Windows.

Matt J.

What I did in the end was to delete the Com ports from the Control Panel and reboot the machine. That seemed to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back