Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computers are missing in Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechInNeed

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
CA
Server is Windows 2000 Server
Clients are Windows 98 SE
I am able to map network resources from the server to the client and browse shared folders that are resident on the server.
However, I am unable to browse the network through "Network Neighborhood". A message similar to the following appears:-

"Unable to browse Network. Network is inaccessible"

Please help !!!

Hi,

can u please check which protocols you have installed on the clinet machine.

=============================
ENJOY..........
=============================

TCP/IP
NetBEUI

BTW, the network has been working flawlessly until this morning. Nothing has changed in terms of hardware or software installations.
Note: Not sure if this may make a difference but, there was a power failure the other day (server was fine because of UPS) and ISP was down for two days until this morning.

I failed to mention my test scenarios:-
1. I can ping the server's ip from a client and vice versa.
2. I can map network shared drives and directories from the server to the client and vice versa.
3. I can ping the printer whose has its own ip, but cannot connect to it due to the connectivity issues with network neighborhood.
4. I am unable to browse the network through "Network Neighborhood"
5. Internet connection is live. (I can ping an external
site - "yahoo.com")
6. I can ping the server's computername.

Please commment
Cheers

I got that once before, and I got everybody of the system and rebooted the server, it worked for me!!

KevieB (I'm no expert)

WINS WINS WINS! 9x clients need WINS in order to browse the network....unless NetBUI does that for them....hmmmmm. Haven't even thought about dealing with NetBUI in a while. I take it this is a small network then.

I want to clarify a couple things though before I start blabbing. What services are running on the server (DHCP,WINS,DNS)? What protocols on the server? You have rebooted haven't you?

Also, ts friday, and I don't go on the internet much on the weekends, so I won't reply to this until Monday.

Cycle power on the hub (switch). It sounds like the hub sufferred a brown-out leaving it in a flakey state.

The Computer Browser service is what makes and maintains the browse list of servers - the Master Browser role (usually held by the domain PDC) is the one that deals that list out to clients.

But you should also have WINS running as well. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

BTW, may have forgotten to mention that there are 4 clients and one networked printer on this setup.

KevieB (MIS) Nov 15, 2002
I got that once before, and I got everybody of the system and rebooted the server, it worked for me!!
***This was the first thing that I tried.

SgtB (IS/IT--Manageme) Nov 15, 2002
WINS WINS WINS! 9x clients need WINS in order to browse the network....unless NetBUI does that for them....hmmmmm. Haven't even thought about dealing with NetBUI in a while. I take it this is a small network then.
***Yes it is a small network.

I want to clarify a couple things though before I start blabbing. What services are running on the server (DHCP,WINS,DNS)? What protocols on the server? You have rebooted haven't you?
***No DHCP Clients have static ip addresses. No WINS.

rkloster (TechnicalUser) Nov 16, 2002
Cycle power on the hub (switch). It sounds like the hub sufferred a brown-out leaving it in a flakey state.
***I thought of this as well, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before I run out to buy another hub. How likely is this to be the case?

dhawthorn (TechnicalUser) Nov 17, 2002
The Computer Browser service is what makes and maintains the browse list of servers - the Master Browser role (usually held by the domain PDC) is the one that deals that list out to clients.
But you should also have WINS running as well.
***I thought that the browse master is set automatically on a computer that is running Windows 2000 Server. Correct me if I am wrong.

Please comment.

Cheers

This may seem like a simple fix, but I got burned on this when I first set up a Windows NT network with Win9x clients.

Verify File and Print sharing is enabled on the Win9x clients. If it is not enabled, you will not be able to browse the network.

Good Luck

Mattgz

mattgz
One of the many things that I tried at first. :)

Possible workaround: (Question)
Server: Windows 2000 Advanced server
Workstation: Win 98 SE
Printer: Konica 7030 with networked ethernet card and ip

How to create a TCP/IP printer port in Win 98? I can do this no problem in Windows 2000.

Cheers

This happened to me as well. Even though our workstations are on a domain, I still had to change the workgroup name in network nieghborhood properties to the name of our domain.I was able to browse with network nieghborhood again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back