Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer wont turn off on its own! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddave

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Hi, my computer running XP PRO used to turn itself off when I selected shutdown. Recently though I had abig problem with ACPI which told me that windows couldn't be started and ACPI had to be disabled. I followed the instructions on the blue screen but it didn't help so reinstalled windows. But after that the machine will not turn itslef off and I have to manually press the button. Lazy of me I know but I liked that I could just shutdown and leave it.

Anyone know what I can do? I thought it was to do with settinsg in the bios but I have recently updated my mainboard and the problem is still there. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers ma dears.

The setting to change this is in the BIOS. It will be under the POWER TAB.

Ive tried this - enabled ACPI, but it still willnotwork. As I have installed a new motherboard it seems to be problem with Windows.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks.

"To fix the problem, first check XP's settings in the Power Options Control Panel. Select the APM tab (if you see one), and "Enable Advanced Power Management support." This usually fixes the problem. You'll know shutdown is working correctly if you can go to the Start menu, select Turn Off Computer, and have your PC actually turn itself off. If you don't have an APM tab to view or shutdown doesn't work properly once you enable APM support, you may need to investigate your system's BIOS settings. To do so, check your PC's manual or manufacturer's Web site for the proper energy management/power control settings to enable ACPI and APM."

Try this:

This tweak sets the XP machine to power off completely rather than stop at the prompt advising users it's now safe to power off the machine.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: PowerdownAfterShutdown
Setting for Value Data: [0 = Disabled / 1 = Enabled]
Exit Registry and Reboot

spool

HI,

It looks like your BIOS isn't fully ACPI Compliant but there's a fix for it but I'm doing this from memory so be patient! If you go into the Device manager and select view then check the "show hidden devices" then expand system devices until you see something that looks like "NT legacy APM support" with a big red X net to it, right click it and choose enable. this will then allow your machine to power down!

I hope this helps,

Jam

Ok. Thanks for all the replies.

ACPI is enable in the bios and it did used to work, until I had to install windows when it crashed and said there was a problem with ACPI and I had to disable it.

I tried to do the registry edit but that does not work. I have installed APM/legacy but it still doesn't show up under powermanagement so I will try the device manager doo dar.

Thanks again, will let you know what happens!!

Righhhhhhhhhhhht! I enabled the apm/legacy thing in the system hardware settings but then a big yellow caution sign is now on it! It says it is unable to work!

Any reasons why?!

yes, you have a conflict with another resource or it is not working!? Right click it in system-hardware and try and see what other device it is conflicting with if any!?

Also, check in properties of system and hardware devices and make sure if it is working, if not check to see if the driver is signed, if not, your new motherboard might not be compatible with XP!

Does it just not power down or does it actually restart? XP has an Automatic Restart setting in the Start and Recovery section under My Computer/Properties/Advanced. If you remove the checkmark from the Automatic Restart and a conflict occurs during shutdown, the blue screen will list what the conflict is. Once the conflict has been resolved, you can reinsert the checkmark and things will run A-OK, or at least OKey-dokey.
Of course, you people all know that already...

cheers,
rrascal what would i do with a brain if i had one?

You could look at typing MSINFO32 in the Start Run box, and check Components/ Problem Devices. Also check Hardware Resources/ Conflict-Sharing and also IRQs. See if there is any mention of Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System or APM.

No Nothing is working.

I have enabled the APM in device manager but it still has the caution icon over it. The error message it gives is:

Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

When I click troubleshoot it just highlights the close button!! Nothing else happens.

ACPI is definately enabled in the bios and is set to switch off, not suspend to ram or anything. The registry is edited. I cant find any resource conflicts.

Its driving me mad, I just dont understand why it wont work!!

Error 37 - Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37) The driver returned failure from its DriverEntry routine. Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

How to Force a Hardware Abstraction Layer During an Upgrade or New Installation of Windows XP (Q299340)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back