Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't shut down 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeteky

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
After I click the "shut down" button and press ok, my computer just restarts. This is a pretty new problem, it just started happening. And restarting also sometimes takes around 10 minutes to boot back up. Any help?

A 1/2 empty glass + 1/2 empty glass = 1 empty glass.

Which "shut down" button? Start > shutdown, keyboard shutdown (available on some multi-media keyboards), or main power on case?

Sorry for not specifying: Start/Shutdown is the one I was thinking of. I click "shut down" in the dialog box that pops up, click OK, it shuts down and then restarts. The restart is the problem. The only way I've been able to shut off my computer is forced shutdown with the power button.

thread779-976861

This is on another forum about a defective PCI card that causes this same problem when a certain PCI card is installed. It's for a different problem, but the symtoms are the same. May give you a clue.

I also had a problem of HP pcs restarting instead of shutting down. It was solved by turning off the remote wake up in the bios.

I turned off quick shutdown and yay, it works! Thanks for the help! :)

I had the same problem, and turning off "fast shutdown" was the cure. Go to START RUN then type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks). Click on the advanced tab, and you will find the "fast shutdown" box. If that is already checked, then you need to go to a longer solution.

You may have selected 'Restart' instead of 'Shutdown' from the 4 options at shutdown and not noticed it. It has happened to me and was resolved by selecting 'Shutdown'.

Just curious about where this fast shutdown box is. I looked in General >Advanced in msconfig but I don't see it.

I am having a problem shuting down my computer when I do it saya I can shut down my computer now,but when I press the off button it cuts off and then comes right back on how do i solve that problem and where do I go to correct PLEASE HELP ME!

Did you already try what this post suggested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back