Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Won't Power Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rome09

Technical User
Dec 30, 2006
CA
I received a Sony DRU-820A DVD Burner for Christmas and after I installed it, my windows XP Pro shuts down, but my computer doesn't power down, it stays up and running. I have to turn it off manually. I'm running windows xp pro, service pack 2, with an ABit KD7-E, socket A mother board.
I tried flashing the bios, restoring, and running a registry optimization tool all with no luck. I did notice that I do have some IRQ duplication but it shows that everything is running OK.
Any Ideas?? Thanks in advance

A couple questions:

1) What is the IDE configuration in your PC (meaning what devices are connected to each channel, and which are master/slave)?

2) Does the shutdown problem go away if you disconnect the burner?

Make sure that each master device is connected to the END of the IDE cable, and that each slave is using the middle one.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I have also seen this problem before when a component tries to stay "awake" (ie, the component or software fails to recognize it when Windows shuts down). My immediate solution: remove the Sony, restore to an earlier date, return the product.

---***--- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

I do have 2 optical drives and the Sony is the primary and the other the slave.
I also did try removing the new drive and replace it with the old one and did the restore with no change. That's part of what has me baffled.
The drives were in very tight prior to removing them.. Is there a possiblity that I inadvertantly jogged a connector loose causing this issue.. Everything seems to be tight.
Thanks again

Rome09,
Next, it's time to try disconnecting all optical devices, and leave only the primary hard drive connected to the primary IDE channel.

Also, did you double-check to make sure that each master and slave device is connected to the right connector on the IDE cable?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Start with the basics:

Right-click Desktop>Properties>Screen Saver>Power>Advanced> "When I press the power button on my computer" > select Shut Down

Apply settings and OK your way out.

Next, briefly press the power button. What happens?
Next, press and hold the power button. What happens?

Best of luck!

Tony

wahnula has a point, but that point is assuming that you press the power button to shutdown.

If you have been going to Start -> Shutdown, then it should have powered off regardless of what you have in those settings.

~cdogg

Thanks for all your help so far. I've tried all your suggestions.
I tried pressing the power button and nothing. I held the power button and nothing. To start the computer booted up and running, I have to hit the "power" and the "reset" buttons together.
I removed all the power connectors to the Motherboard and reattached them and nothing changed.
Fortunately, this is just an annoyance and my computer still functions fine.(for the time being)
This has me totally baffled..
Thanks again

Tony

OK, considering all the above, there are two possibilities that I can think of:

A) Windows is messed up and despite shutting down itself, is not sending information to the motherboard to shut down the computer.

B) Your motherboard is glitching and needs replaced.

Way to tell: run Windows Repair. If problem persists then back up your data and totally reinstall Windows.

If problem then persists, then in all liklihood you have a bad motherboard.

-- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

Since this all started when you were inside the case fiddling around I would try unplugging, disassembling and re-assembling everything after a good air-cleaning (half-second bursts). Hey, you've got the day off, why not?

Tony

Right, the whole reason I suggested that Rome09 disconnected all optical drives from the IDE channels, is because the addition of the Sony writer is about when the problem started happening.

Also, once we rule the optical drives out, we can move on to Windows next. Instead of messing up your current install of Windows, if it were me, I'd throw in a spare hard drive and take out the old one. Load a fresh install of Windows on that drive to test the shutdown problem.

If it still occurs, then you'd know right away that Windows wasn't the problem and you'd still have your old drive intact that you can throw back in anytime.

It does sound it could be the motherboard or power supply too, as Drew mentioned, so hopefully you won't have to go that far to find out!

~cdogg

If it's a cheap power supply, I would replace it. Even if the problem is not the ps, a cheap unit will cause problems down the road...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I tried and changed so much stuff now that I've virtually given up because I don't know where the base point is anymore. As long as the unit keeps running, I'll be happy. If I feel up to it tomorrow, I'll rip the whole thing appart, purging the drivers and reload it component by component. If that doesn't cut it, I've had this computer for 5 yrs, it doesn't owe me anything and it may be time for a new one or at least an upgrade...
Thanks a bunch..
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back