Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer won't compute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancie

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
US
Hi all,
I need some help.
I turned the computer on and nada... the screen stays black.. the keyboard doesn't respond and neither does the mouse.
The green lights on the keyboard light when I turn the computer on..they stay on for like 2 seconds and then go off..when I hit number lock-cap lock-scroll lock they do not light.
I cannot turn the computer off by the front button..I have to switch it off in the back where the plug is. When I first turn it on the green light in front comes on and stays on..the red light comes on and stays for about 40-70 seconds.
I have unplugged everything and replugged it but can't get a response.
Any suggestions?? I am at the library using their computer and I'm really desperate !!
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

What's the spec of the system, Nancie? Does it make any sounds when it starts?

At the moment, it sounds as if it isn't posting, which could mean several things. I need more info first.

Scotsdude[bravo]

Nancie,

As scotsdude suggested, please give us what you can about the Pc's information - most importantly, however, have you added, or removed any software, or hardware? Again, as scotsdude said, the unit is probably not "POST-ing" for a reason. Some of them might be:
1.) Memory has been added, and the configuration is not supported, usually there are a series of beeps, though.
2.) If the unit isn't making ANY noise, the power supply could be gone, the little keyboard lights might still work, though...
3.) The display adaptor could be poorly seated, or blown.

There are many possibilities, though.
PLEASE, do not continue to unplug the unit by the power cord! If the power supply ISN'T blown yet, it will!

When you need to power off the unit, push, and HOLD that button in FOR A FULL 5 SECONDS, and the unit will power down!

:)

I really don't know what it is you need to know..I never copied down the specs that it shows..
But what I can tell you is this.. when I turn the computer on, the three green lights on the keyboard come on and then go off after which the keyboard does not respond.
The green light on the cd-rom goes on, then turns off.
The green light and red light on the front of the computer both come on..the red light stays on for about a minute then turns off;the green light stays on.
The only noise I hear is the fan.
Now last night I turned it off and on a couple times by the front button and the third time I did it the a-drive light came on and I could hear it start 'chugging'. The monitor lit up for the first time in a week and I checked out all my programs and everything was intact.
I went on line and worked for about two hours when suddenly the screen froze and the top half of it turned into a tweed rug pattern. Nothing I did could change it. the mouse wouldn't move..I finally tried ctl-alt-del but that didn't work either. I pushed the little "warm-start" button and nothing happened..so I turned it off completely, waited about a minute and turned it back on..but I'm back to the black screen and no sound except the fan.
Any suggestions?

If you can get your computer going again. Start it in SAFE MODE. Then check your
msconfig, start tab and see what is starting. Also while you are in SAFE MODE scan the system for viruses. Have you installed anything, changed config, setup etc..
The system is failing during setup test of the system. You may also have a hard drive going out. That would be the worse. I would try totally unplugging system once it is down and off. This will uncharge all of the parts and maybe reset something. Check you setup and make sure all of the set are ok.

Nancie,

It does sound like you have an issue related to the Hard Disk Drive, as MrFixIt suggested. It's very hard to tell exactly what the problem might be without knowing more about the brand name of the unit, and some other things that are probaly too detailed to go into -

You should try to save your files while you can.

That "chugging" sound you heard when the unit DID boot up, is a "happy" sound, since I'm assuming that it is the hard drive "coming to life" to do the business of getting the PC to boot up, so again I am assuming that when all you hear is the fan going, that the hard disk drive, for whatever reason, is unable to boot the system.

You may want to consider getting the help of a friend, or knowledgable local PC "Guru" to have a look at it, or perhaps take the PC to a qualified shop.

The unit might also still be under warantee, which in turn, might entitle you to some help from the manufacturer...Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Micron, or whatever.

If you can get some info about the following, we might be able to help more:

1.) Processor, brand, speed - (Intel Pentium III, 733 megahertz, for example)
2.) The PC's manufacturer, (Dell, Compaq, etc.)
3.) The BIOS manufacturer, (AMI American Megatrends, Phoenix)

I know that most people don't keep this information at their fingertips, but perhaps someone else knows more about the unit?

Just a thought!

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

Nancie try this,
Unplug the power cord and hold the power button in for about a minute.
Plug it back in and then see if it will start.

Sometimes a motherboard or something else will "keep" the power it had and will block any new coming in.
I have a system that does that from time to time and by depleting all power, it will power on fine afterward.

If that does not work, then open the case, pull all but the memory and video cards out and then try to power it on.

Fedto[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back