Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberlynn

Programmer
Dec 18, 2003
CA
Hello!

I have an Acer Aspire - running Vista.
A few weeks ago it started blue screening.
There doesn't seem to be a specific program triggering it - very random.
The error message changed from time to time.
I was unable to run any malware cleaning tools without it crashing.
Then yesterday, I was able to get into safe mode, and ran SuperAntiSpyware - which came up clean.
Ran MalwareBytes - it found a couple items.
Ran ComboFix (no longer in safe mode) and it finished, but the computer was frozen on the log screen for this program.
It froze on boot a few times, on the screen that says unsuccessful last boot - boot regular, safe, etc.
Now I can't reboot at all. It seems to power up - lights are on, fans are going, but no display ever appears on the monitor.
I pulled the CMOS battery out - popped it back in - no difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Amber

Now I can't reboot at all. It seems to power up - lights are on, fans are going, but no display ever appears on the monitor.
and
Any suggestions?
Yes, if this is a desktop, then I would suggest that you have a look at the PSU, CPU HeatSink Fan, GFX card (seating and try another one), RAM (Seating)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

CPU heatsink fan is working, reseated all RAM (and tested when these problems first started). Pulled video card and connected directly to MB.
So I guess that leaves the power supply...
I have a few old PCs kicking around - is this as simple as swapping on for the other? or do I need to be careful about which one I try??

Thanks again :)
Amber

is this as simple as swapping on for the other? or do I need to be careful about which one I try??
NO...

older PSU's may only have the 20 pin power connector, where as the newer types have 24 pin...

Take a look here, it explains it nicely:

scroll down further for the 24pin connector...

make sure that they are the same, and that the WATTAGE is above 350w...

post back if you have any questions...

Ben

Will it boot from any other bootable media you may have around the place? That will give you a clue as to whether it is a hardware problem or not.

If you reach a point in time where data recover is an issue the Laptop Adapters and other troubleshooting suggestions mentioned in this thread may be helpful.

Laptop will not boot
thread1583-1522023

So I replaced the power supply, and it still won't boot.
I can't boot from any other device because it doesn't even get to the point where it could.
The fans start, and the light on the front of the PC comes on, but no further.
I don't know what to do next...
Amber

unplug drive cables, from the mainboard not the drives...

scale down the RAM, e.g. use only one stick...

stick with onboard video at this stage...

take out BIOS battery, unplug the PSU from the wall outlet... HOLD down the PWR BUTTON for more than a minute, this will reset some of the PSUs out there, which go into a SAFE setting ergo no full power to the mainboard...

leave the battery out for more than 5 minutes (or leave it out over night), this should drain the power from CMOS, resetting the BIOS to factory settings...

now try to power it up, does it POST?

if NO post back...

if YES, then add one stick of RAM per power up, e.g. pwr up - POSTS - pwr down - add stick - pwr up - POSTS - pwr down - add another stick - pwr up etc... Do the same for each DRIVE... also try the ORIGINAL PSU in this situation...

if at anytime the POST does not work, then it was the last item that you added...

I've a feeling that perhaps a harddrive or CD/DVD rom may be the culprit after all...

Ben
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Okay - unplugged hard drive and DVD drive data cables from board.
Pulled one stick of RAM out.
Plugged in to onboard videocard (which btw has never been used - had a cap on it).
Pulled out all add-on cards.
Pulled out BIOS battery and left out for a few hours. Unplugged tower, and held power button down for minute.
When I power on - no POST - light on keyboard flashes, both fans start up, but nothing ever appears on monitor...

Hi,
if none of those procedures fixed things, time for a tech to look at it..Could be a bad link on the motherboard's circuit paths or some other physical reason that the signals never complete the circuit needed to finish the boot up..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Taking it to a tech isn't really an option. I'm in a fairly remote community - and I'm it for a tech :)
Is it time to just break down and buy a new motherboard?

Probably, that would be the quickest way to deal with this, and safest... ;-)

If you don't do gaming or heavy work loads, e.g. just the once in a while office app and internet surfing, then I would suggest a bundle deal (CPU, mobo, and RAM all in one package) they can be had for relative little money these days...

or just get a cheap mainboard that fits the CPU and RAM you already have... just in case, don't trash that old mainboard before you get the new one running!

Ben

Thanks Ben!
It's my son's computer, and he uses it for gaming mostly.
You sent a very helpful link in figuring out how to buy the correct power supply, - any chance you have something like that so I buy a motherboard that will fit they components I already have?
Thanks again.
Amber

Amber, unfortunately not...

but there are whole sale operations, such as NewEgg, that sell components and you have to match that...

or you can list what you have now, e.g. mainboard, CPU, and GFX card, and I'll be happy to point you in the correct direction, or one of the other members...

PS: also knowing where in the world you are located at, e.g. US, CAN, UK, etc. can be helpful...

Ben

I had to put this on the backburner for a while :)
I appreciate your help Ben!

Okay - I'm not sure where to find details for the mainboard.

It's an Acer Aspire AM5640-E5407A

Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad processor

DDR2 (PC2 5300) RAM

ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro Graphics card.

I found this exact one at:

Any suggestions as to how to get the correct motherboard for this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Amber

No POST usually means the Mobo hasn't detected a CPU and so won't initiate the power-up sequence. Try reseating the CPU (or better, swapping the CPU with a another to test noth the CPU and the mobo at the same time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back