Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Won't Boot...with new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubertech

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
Hello all,
I replaced an old motherboard (ASUS KV333) and processor(Athlon 2000) out of my system and installed a new motherboard (ASUS X-X8) and processor (Athlon 2600) and am having an issue...

I can't seem to get into the operating system I keep getting blue screens. I figured it was due to the new hardware but my question is what steps should I take when installing a new motherboard and processor?

System config:
Windows XP Professional
40 GB HD
512 DDR 233 RAM
AMD Athlon 2600 processor
ASUS X-X8 motherboard VIA400 supports DDR up to 333

How far do you get before the bluescreens, and what do the bluescreens say? Check that the mobo standoffs are all located properly, and nothing is shorting the board.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Thanks for a reply rocker!

The blue screens would happen right after the post screens when the system is trying to load the OS. I was not able to get a OS disk to iniate a reinstall and I was not able to get my hard drive utility disk to run during start-up I kept getting a message that no DOS exsist press any key to reboot. Finally decided to put in a Win98 Boot disk which gave me a c:\ prompt i then was able to stick in my hard drive utility disk and zero ut my hard drive. after doing this i then stuck in the XP install software and during the checking part (very first part when the install starts heppening) blue screen then happens and states a no page fault. I think it might be my video card or another piece of hardware...any suggestions?

Sorry for this post it is probably disorganized and not flowing but at the moment i am mult tasking :(

Also...what are mother board stand off's? LCD pins and power pins???

Check your memory. Make sure it is properly seated and the FSB speed is correct for the type you are using. If it seems to be OK then run a memorytest program to test the memory.

check your ram, make sure it is seated completely, also one of the sticks may be bad

mb standoffs are what connect the mb to the case, by way of screws

Memory...ok I have 1 stick of 512 DDR 266mhz...

I went into the bios and it states if i run at 1995mhz on my processor to make sure my system memory is at 333 or more so i dropped it down to 1555mhz on the processor and the bios says to check to make sure my mobo is set to jumper free...atm i am retrying the install of the OS and it seems to be working...any comments or suggests so far???

thanks for the help so far...

Yeah, the standoffs are brass screws that screw into the motherboard tray. then you put the board on the standoffs and use screws to go through the board to them. Not all boards have all the same holes so when you change boards you've got to make sure they are placed correctly. If you are getting through the post they are likely OK.
"was able to stick in my hard drive utility disk and zero ut my hard drive" not sure what you mean by this. Did you low level format the drive? Check the memory as per above, and try it with one stick only( if you have 2). Over heating could also cause problems during the install. Is the fan/heatsink you are using rated for that proccessor? and did you use thermal grease in between the die and the heatsink? Seated properly?
You can get a memory testing utility from here:

RocKeRFelLerZ

The mem speed would seem to be the problem. You need memory that is rated for 333mhz
There are 2 Athlon 2600+ models, with different clock speeds; thoroughbred-2.083ghz-333mhz fsb and
barton - 1.917ghz - 333mhz fsb
I think to get the full clock speed from your proccessor you need the 333mhz ram....

RocKeRFelLerZ

Rockerfellerz,
The Barton core version of the XP2.6+ was only released in Japan 4 weeks ago and is not widely available as of yet, the two versions that were and are available both have Thoroughbred cores, not Barton and have just 256 of level 2 cache.

First XP2.6+ was Thoroughbred B @2133mhz but only 266fsb
256 level 2 cache

Second version also Thoroughbred B was 2083mhz but had 333fsb still 256 cache

Final version, and only just released in Japan comes with Barton core 333fsb and twice the amount of L2 cache 512

I thought I had brought a Barton core when I got mine 3 months ago but discovered it was only the XP2.5, then the XP2.7+ and above that got the Barton core treatment "at that time"

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

IT WAS MEMORY RELATED!!! WoW thanks for the help!!!

I had to push down my processor to run at 1533MHz due to only having the one stick of DDR 512MB 266mhz RAM :(

I need to go buy some DDR 333MHz RAM so i can fully utilize the 2300MHz (At least that is an option in my BIOS: 1150, 1533, 1917, 2300) of my AMD processor. I was confused on what to get. All this PC2600 and PC1600 and what ever PC#### overwhelms my brain today. What should i look for and what is PC#### please help...???

Thanks again

O and yes Rocker I meant i low level formated my HD and I did use thermal grease between the processor and the cooling unit and the processor and cooling unit are seated correctly. Again sorry for the confusion...

You need PC2700 which runs at 333mhz, the same as your Thoroughbred B cored XP2.6+ (333fsb) processor.
You could buy faster PC3200 (400mhz) and run it slower than specified, thats up to you.
Buy Branded memory only because these motherboards are particularly fussy and can have problems with cheaper generic memory types.
Crucial, Kingston, Winbound, Samsung, Hynix, Infineon are amongst the best brands.

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

WOOHOO!!! Thanks for the help looks like I am going to be down about 130 bucks or so.

If i decide to buy the PC3200 400MHz RAM will i be given the option to run it at 333MHz in my bios?

Also on this ASUS mobo can I run my processor at the 2300MHz setting or is that considered a overclock option and not really recommended unless i have ultimate cooling? If yes then should i keep the PC3200 RAM at 400MHz?

All these crazy questions ;)

As with your cpu that runs in lower mhz than it is spec. for.The same is for memory , it also runs on lower mhz .
Listen to paparazi's advice and get pc3200 or higher .
This makes you not have to change your memory at a later time if you e.g change cpu to xp3200 (fsb=400mhz) ,then you will have the memory chip to go with it .
( and the good part is with pc3200 mem or better ,you can manage to overclock you cpu to go even at higher speed by raising the fsb from 333 to a higher level)

DDR Memory's and bus frequenzy's
PC1600 200mhz (DDR200)
PC2100 266mhz (DDR266)
PC2700 333mhz (DDR333)
PC3200 400mhz (DDR400)
PC3500 433mhz (DDR433)
PC3700 466mhz (DDR466)
PC4000 500mhz (DDR500)
PC4300 533mhz (DDR533)

SYAR

SYAR

Great advice all thanks.

How about one more question(s):

Say I had a OS (Windows 2000) and have been using it for quite some time and decide I want to upgrade my hardware (motherboard, procesor) but I don't want to lose data and I don't have a spare hard-drive around to copy data I want to save to it...

What steps should I take after installing the new motherboard and processor to insure I lose no data?

Can I run some repair tool?

On Solution 3 Step 7 is the repair option:
Recovery Console (c) or Emergency Repair (r)?

it's the emergency repair option...and man it still isn't working it runs through the repair and comes up with 2 files that I can not repair...i reboot after the repair and it still blue screens after the post screen and windows loader where you can press F8.

The 2000 system is:
ASUS KTV333 Mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2000, 512MB 266Mhz PC2100 RAM: I made sure that the Processor and the RAM are running at the same FSB through the BIOS.

ATM I am doing a reinstall over the current OS insteaad of the repair. To whoever cares, if this reinstall doesn't work I will get the exact blue screen for the BSOD KINGS/QUEENS.

BTW so I don't confuse who ever reads this the above system (XP) is working this system (2000) is having problems. I put new motherboards and processors into both of my systems.

Paparazi: I just took those specs from the web page of the shop I buy from. This is what they advertise for sale now:
AMD - Athlon-XP 1.917Ghz, 333FSB, 512K, Barton (2600+), Retail
I am in Canada....

RocKeRFelLerZ

Well after a long weekend and a long thread both systems have been resolved (XP and 2000).

For those using this as a resource:

XP fix: By choice I decided to just low level format my hard drive and do a fresh install of XP. Make sure that when you purchase a new motherboard and processor that the motherboards FSB and the system memory's FSB are running at the same MHz frequency. I obviously did not retain any of the info from my A+ training.

2000 fix: Well this one was sticky for me and none of Microsoft's recommended methods worked ( however I was able to pull the hard drive out of the system set it up as a slave and then put it into my working XP system boot up and transfer files that I wanted to keep over to the XP system. Then I low level formatted the drive and did a fresh install with the new hardware in place.

There is a few methods that one can do when putting in a new motherboard and/or processor. I recommend this tool if you are using a NTFS partition:
Anyways thanks again for everyones help. I learned more about FSB then I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back