Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't boot or restore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeThorne

Technical User
Mar 17, 2008
US
Hi

What happened!

I was downloading the new version of I tunes and my Dell XPS computer froze.
It seemed to be in some sort of loop.

What I did!

I tried to reboot but got a blank screen after the initial Windows is loading screen.
The same thing happened in safe mode.

After trying everything I could think of I put in my Ghost recovery CD.

It loaded until I got the grey screen where the options should appear but the screen stayed blank grey but with a working mouse. It wouldn’t go any farther.
I have used the Ghost CD several times in the past with no problem.

I tried this several times.

Next I put in my Windows DVD. I figure that if I can get it to boot, then I can restore back to the original configuration

I tried to run a repair install
It ran through the part where it copies the installation files to the Hard Drive, said that it had completed successfully and then rebooted.

After the Windows is loading screen the display went blank again.
I have tried this twice same result.

I have everything backed up to an external HD, so my data is safe but if I can’t get to boot reinstall or load my Ghost backup I don’t know where to go from here.

I did run the Disk Diagnostic utility and it said that both internal drives are OK.

I have video up to the same point in the process every time. I don't think that it is where the video drivers should kick in I'm pretty sure it should still be in VGA.

It will apparently write to the drive.

Anyone have any idea where I should go from here?

Dell XPS
Windows XP MCE
Dual core 3ghz processor.
2gig ram
Nvidia 7800 GTX video card

Sounds like a messed up PC, there...

since you already have all your data safely tucked away on the second drive, I would unplug that drive for now...

Run a MEMTEST on the PC, to test your mem, if that checks out ok, then proceed to the following:

Use DBAN and NUKE the drive, this will take some time, but that way you are sure that the drive is clean to start with...

then I would retry GHOST, if it still balks I would try another drive, and if that balks also, suspect a hardware problem...

post back...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Hi Ben

I formatted the drive and repartitioned it.

Once I did that I was able to do a new install a basic setup of Windows.
I then installed Ghost and checked out my backups.

It still balked at restoring, just hung up at one point.
I finally realized that this problem was because Windows had change the drive letter for my external drive and Ghost couldn’t find the backup.

Ran it again and typed in the file location, (it doesn’t tell you where it is looking and for some reason it doesn’t give you a file not found message, it just says that it can’t continue) now it is in the process of restoring (it takes about an hour) so I have my fingers crossed.

Apparently the problem wasn’t the video card as I suspected, once I installed the drivers for it, it seems to be working normally.

I don’t have a clue but fortunately I backed it up 3 weeks ago and I don’t keep any of my data on drive C: only my software for just this reason.

Mike

Glad that you found a work around...

the reason why I suggested the NUKE method, is that sometimes remnants left on the drive (format leaves files intact it just wipes the file allocation tables) can hamper the reinstall process...

I prefer Paragon, Acronis or Partimage (Linux) to do my backups, and have no experience with Ghost (basically just never touched it, since a few years ago one of my colleagues had nothing but problems with it)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Hi Ben

My computer is up and running.
The restore took longer then usual but it worked.

Here is a side note, once I had my internet connection back I went to the iTunes forum because I had not gotten a music track I paid for.

One of the first posts I see is a post tittled "iTunes screwed up my hard drive".

I read it and the poster described exactly what I experienced. Right down to the screen going blank and not being able to get into Windows in safe mode, or through the Windows DVD.

The bad part is that he has all his music data on that drive and has no backups. I posted about my experience and went back to see if there was an update but there was no further posts.

Well I have to say that once I got it set up Ghost has saved my tail several times. I have both my drives backed up to the external HD.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back