Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't boot (no display or beeps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmarron

Programmer
Sep 16, 2003
US
For some odd reason, my customer-built PC stops working every few months w/the same problem. The computer won't boot (no display on the monitor and no beeps). The first time I thought it was a bad power supply, so I replaced that and it worked again. The next time, I thought it was a bad motherboard, so I got a new motherboard (also upgraded the processor and RAM). That fixed it the second time. Now this time, I'm quite frustrated as most of the parts are less than a year old now. I tried several setups, such as without the HDs (I have two) and PCI cards installed. In addition, I tried plugging it into a wall (instead of a powerstrip) and other rooms. Still no beep. I even went as far as trying to boot it w/only the motherboard, power supply, and processor. Still no beep! Here's my setup:

300/600 Watt ATX Power supply (tried both)
AMD Athlon XP 1.6ghz processor
512mb 333mhz SDRAM
40/60 Western Digital/Segate HD's
1.44 Floppy Drive
Philips CD-R/RW drive
Unknown type DVD-ROM drive
Gigabye motherboard w/on board video, sound, and ethernet

Is it safe to say that the motherboard and/or processor shorted or failed? Is there anything else I should've tried? Thanks!!

I have had a similar issue with a production gateway at work. One resolve was sliding the voltage switch from 120v to 220v then back to 120v on the power supply. Note: do this with it unplugged! If the switch is subject to dust or vibration it may not be set at its best. The other resolve when it happened again after some time was to replace the power cord. It was actually the culprit. I swapped it for the moniter's to test it and guess what...

get a volt meter and check for power each step of the way.

good luck

Thanks for your reply. I tried switching the power supply setting, but that made the computer sound worse (sounded like it was getting too much power). I also tried swapping AC cords. Still no beeps. :(

Are you getting any action at all? HD light, fan, etc.

Hi there, let me throw in a few thoughts...

1.) replace IDE cables with known good ones or new ones... some mobo's don't like faulty cables and thus wont post...

2.) make sure that all connectors (PSU, IDE, Front-Panel, FrontUSB...) are all tightly set in place...

3.) remove powerswitch and replace with another good working one ( if in doubt switch with the RESET switch and see if it runs stable then...)

4.) check cpufan for functionality and if it is in the right connector on mobo...

BEN

loop127--Yes, everything "seems" to be running. I can hear the HD's and CD-ROMs running when I turn the PC on.

BadBigBen--I made sure that all the conectors were tight and the CPU fan appears to be working fine (I can see it running). Not sure how to remove the powerswitch, and I don't have another one. I do have new IDE cables, so I'll give that a shot. But if I can't get it to beep when it's just the power supply connected to the mobo, wouldn't that tell me that the mobo is bad? Thanks!

mmarron,

Maybe motherboard or CPU either could give you the same result. If you happen to have a spare PC around try swapping 1 part at a time with it and see if you can duplicate the results. Sounds like everyone has already given great results. THanks

mmarron,

NOPE - NOT necessarily so...

if the powerswitch is faulty for instance, it can tell the mobo that you are trying to turn it OFF and ON all the time... ergo no post...

what I have meant by switching the RESET and Powerswitch is just that... plug the reset connector to where the powerswitch is at and boot the PC if it POSTs then you found your culprit...

another thing to check is to see if you have front USB connectors and if they are properly connected, one wrong cable and no post...

also double check if your FSB is set correctly...

BEN

I've had bad memory sticks cause this. Try swapping with known good memory.

Well, it turns out that I fried my processor. I took my processor to the place I purchased it from and asked them to test it, and they said it was bad, so they replaced it for free. So it boots, but now I've got another problem. :)

While booting up, it halts right after it says "detecting IDE drives." I know that means an incorrect setup on my CD or hard drives, but I've tried nearly every setup I could think of and it still can't detect them. IIRC, before I had the following setup:

CD-RW was the secondary slave
DVD-ROM was the primary slave
HD #1 was the secondary master
HD #2 was the primary master

I think I've got everything setup correctly, but again, it halts during the IDE drive detection step. Could it be a problem w/the BIOS? Thanks a lot for your advice thus far!

Try removing all but the primary master harddrive (should be the one with the OS on it.) Then see if it boots OK. Most people think you should have your HD's on one controller and The CD's on the other by the way.

I'll try that, thanks! In looking at my mom's computer, HP has a cable connected to one HD and a CD drive, and another connecting another HD to the disk drive.

Okay, I tested the computer w/just one HD. Still hangs. I tried another HD. Still hangs. I tried new cables. Still hangs. I tried another motherboard. Still hangs. Since it still hangs on two motherboards (two BIOS'), I doubt it's the motherboard or BIOS. Could it be I just had two bad HD's? Thanks.

Okay, I don't think it's the HD's themselves. I tried hooking up my new external USB drive. Still hangs. One note...on the other motherboard I tried it on, I also got the following error: CMOS checksum error -- defaults loaded. Not sure what that means and it still just hangs there.

mmarron, good you've illiminated quite a few things...

back to basics - check to see if the RAM in use is 1.)correct for the mainboard and 2.) set correctly in the BIOS...

- is the FSB set correctly?

- if at all possible try a replacement CPU ( CPU could have a crack in the DIE thus when it warms up causes a short)...

Ben

The RAM is in use. At least I think so...before it tries to detect the drives it appears to load the ram. What's the FSB? I tried it w/two motherboards, so I doubt both would be cracked, but I'll take a look. Thanks.

mmarron, FSB (frontside Bus) is the speed setting for the CPU...

you didn't quite understand what I meant with the RAM... crossreference the RAM modules that are in use with what the mainboard manufacturer says is ok to use (type, speed and make), also check to see what settings for the RAM (CAS and RAS) in the BIOS setup (if in doubt go into BIOS load the default settings and hit F10(save and exit))...

there is the possibility that while the heatsink was fitted that the CPU's DIE got chipped or cracked (usually due to too much pressure)... thus the same CPU will behave the same in any MoBo...

Ben

And how do I check the speed setting for the CPU? I'll have to check the receipt from where I bought the ram. Don't know the manufacturer offhand.

I can't get into the BIOS settings. It hangs before that option is displayed at the bottom when it first boots up. When I load the heatsink onto the processor, I use the handle on the ends to set it, so I don't see how I could've applyed much pressure to it. If not, I don't see how anyone could install a heatsink w/out apply "some" pressure to the processor. Thanks.

MMarron - "some" pressure, it's relative - wont get to personal on this, it is just a thought to check... about the speed setting check your mainboard manual on how to do this, every mobo is different and some are automatic while others use dip switches...

ben

I checked out the CPU speed, and it's set at 333, which is what my RAM is. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back