Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer won't auto-power down on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
I have a PIII-450, ASUS P2B-F motherboard. With Windows 2000, 98SE and ME it powered down by itself. Installed Windows XP Pro fresh (no upgrade) and now it doesn't know how to power down.

The ASUS Probe software crashes on exit in Windows XP and I can't find any updates off hand.

Anyone know a fix or what might be going on? Just hints are good if that's all you guys have.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I had to do this

Windows XP only: double-click the Power Options icon in Control Panel, select the APM tab, and turn on the Enable Advanced Power Management support option.
If all is well, Windows should power down your system the next time you shut down.

Notes:

If the Power or Power Options (depending on your version of Windows) icon does not appear in your Control Panel, Windows isn't recognizing your computer's power management features. Run the Add New Hardware wizard and have it automatically detect any new hardware to force it to recognize APM. If that doesn't work, check the manual that came with your system or motherboard for more information on enabling Advanced Power Management support - you may have to get a motherboard BIOS update from the manufacturer.

For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you may have to update your HAL to in

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back