Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer with Static IP can no longer be accessed from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

vchiu81

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
Hi Everybody,

We recently switched ISPs so I had to reconfigure our Multitech VPN RF550 router so people can access the computers from the outside. 4 out of the 5 computers that I gave static IP addresses to and opened the ports for in our VPN router is letting people gain access to them. The one that isn't working is configured the same way as all the rest and when I run ipconfig/all it shows basically all the same information. I am at a loss of what to do. I have tried giving it a new IP address and getting a new data cable for it, but I am still not able to access it from outside. I have run out of ideas does anybody know what could possible be wrong with it?

Thanks.

One last thing that I forgot to mention above that is weird. Not only can I not access the computer from the outside IP address. I can also not access it by its internal IP address either.

Sounds firewallish. Can the problem machine access other resources the way it's supposed to? Is there any firewall on that machine?

Have you tested the nic?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

The computer is under the same firewall as all the rest of the computers in the office. It can access everything else correctly. When I initially set it up I put it under the wrong DNS, people could actually access it from externally but the problem was that the computer couldn't see our network. So then I switched it over to the same DNS as our network but then we could no longer access it externally. When I tried to switch it back to the first DNS just to test it to see what could be wrong with it could no longer get external access or see the network. I am at a complete loss of what to do.

It's the piece of hardware that you plug your network cable into to connect you pc's and get on the internet. (NIC)

Glen A. Johnson
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Sorry, that was a dumb question. It shouldn't be the NIC because the computer can still see the rest of the network and also has internet access. It just can't be reached from the outside anymore.

Hi.

(1) Have you checked that the subnet mask is the same on the incorrect machine as on the ones which operate correctly? (e.g. that it isn't 255.255.255.0 on the incorrect PC and 255.255.0.0 on the others)? <-- Those numbers are just examples!

(2) Have you tried putting down your firewall for a few moments and seeing if the incorrect PC works OK? (easy to check and get that question out of the way)

(3) I can't see how it is likely to be your NIC (Network Interface Card), so I would leave thatout of your thoughts for now. There are a few very unlikely possibilities where it could cause problems, but, they are _VERY_ unlikely.

when I run ipconfig/all it shows basically all the same information
What did you mean basically? Is there something different?

Glen A. Johnson
&quot;I only know that I know nothing.&quot;
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back