Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer will not post

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcboy1

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
CA
I just upgraded my computer to a K7S5A pro and Duron 1.1 ghz Cpu. In the process of starting up here what happen I had everything connect HD,Floppy,Cd Burner, Video Card. when I changed from floppy to Cd the boot disk my computer shut down and will not post now. I removed everything except I replaced the video card with a astandard card and still nothing. All I have is the motherboard and the ram, video card and monitor hooked up right now. I tried to clear the Cmos and I have check to make sure the jumper is right
ANy ideas?

I'm not sure if I understand you problem but.....Are you saying that you changed the BOOT DEVICE SEQUENCE in the BIOS setup from Floppy or A: drive to your CD ROM drive and when you exited, the computer shut down ? This sounds unusual and the computer shutting down may have been coincidental. But I'm not sure I understand what you are saying completely because a PC initiates and completes POST before it goes on to boot an OS (or start up disk) from a drive: floppy, HD, or CDROM.

I have a few questions for you:

Is there any beep or beeps that shut down the POST.

Is there a system board audio speaker hooked up that will sound a beep code ?

Does it start POST and get hung up, or not go to post at all ?

Is there any display at all ?

The first time it shut down there was beeps and how many and sequence no idea
Speaker is hooked up, no beeps
NO POST at all and I removed the mother board from the case hooked up a video card and still nothing.
No display at all a black screen

Hi bcboy,

If you think the problems is the bios setting that you have changed you should do the following:

Get the powercable out of the computer!!!

Flip the battery on your motherboard out of it's socket and press the power button for 20 seconds. Then put the battery back in it's socket.

Reconnect the power cable and try to boot. This makes all the bios settings "factory off" like it came out of the factory.

If the computer boots, you will get an error message that your date en time settings are incorrect. You should change the date and time in the bios, and your problems should be gone.

Good luck,

Regards,

Neovecchi

Hi, hook up the mobo speaker again and try to get it to beep the bios error code which will identify at least the system that has problems, maybe the specific problem.

The beep code will sound when the Power on Self TEst encounters an error. If it beeped that one time, it should beep again when it tries to go thru POST. Identify your bios manufacturer and you can find the meaning of the beeps.

From what you described, I suspect that there is a problem with RAM. Bad or incorrect RAM will prevent a monitor display.

I have encountered the same problem in the past and have found that several things can cause this:

1-BIOS whacked out (reset as in last response from Neovecchi - it is important to let ALL energy bleed from system or CMOS chip will retain memory)
2-Improperly mounted or bad CPU
3-Improperly mounted or bad memory
4-Bad Mobo
5-Bad PS (do you have a voltmeter to check it?)

I know the machine booted at least once before this started, but sometimes "wierd" things can happen when you are transplanting a machines guts. FYI, I always start with the bare necessities (mobo, cpu, memory & video) when building/transplanting a machine, then add the other components one at a time, rebooting in between - this way it is easier to pinpoint which thing caused the prob. Good luck.

Matthew P Janes
Computer Network Support Technician
Boise State University Student Union
Boise ID 83725

OK I done took the battery out, press the power switch for 20 sec. put the battery back in. connected the power switch, video card monitor NO POST. tried different ram toook out one stick of ram,change d them around NO POST

The one thing I did notice is that I cannot sut off the computer with the power switch, I have to turn the power off at the power source.
When I turn on the computer the fan runs.

I have even taken the the motherboard out of the case and laid it on towel still NO POST.

Would the power switch cause that kind of problem?

What kind of computer is it? Did you get the beeps? If so try to write down the sequence, and if you can give me the manufacturer of the motherboard and the type of the motherboard I can find out what the beeps mean.

By getting the battery out of the motherboard everything will be reset to factory off. So the problem isn't the bios. but I think if you are having problems with your powersupply that your motherboard get's to much or to little power. Do you have an other power supply? If you have an other power supply try that one.

A other thing that you can try is to attach the harddrive to the motherboard inc the led-cable and see if you have harddisk activity. Then get back to the forum and I will try to help you out.

Greetz,

Neovecchi

Hola,

let me throw in a thought here...

bcboy check to see if the heatsink is sitting correctly, that the CPU is sitting correctly and firmly in it's slot, and double check if the heatsink plug is connected correctly... most mobo's will not post if the heatsink fan isn't connected to the CPUfan jumpers on the mobo...

Ben

upgraded my computer to a K7S5A pro and Duron 1.1 ghz Cpu
It will not post
I hav taken the battry out held the switch on for 30 sec
changed jumper postion and put it back in the proper place
bought a new fan and heat sink

have only the video card, ram and hooked up the power swtich
STILL Nothing
the fan comes on the monitor goes a lighter grey colos/

How long should I wait for it to post? 5 minutes or more?

I am starting to think that maybe the wires between the front of your case and your mobo may be incorrectly attached at the mobo...you might want to double check, as they are really easy to foul up (those charts in the manual don't always help much either).

By the way, the fan that spins when you power up, is this the PS fan, the case fan or the CPU fan (or more than one of the above?)

you might want to even try unplugging the video card just to see if the computer will get any farther into POST without it. I have seen bad cards render a system unstartable, with symptoms similar to yours.

I am pretty much out of ideas outside of that, other than maybe you just got a lemon of a mobo.

Good luck,
Matthew

Matthew Janes

Everything in its right place...

Hola, another thing I've noticed on some boards is if the USB connectors (for the front panel) are hooked up wrong that they would not post...

just a thought... did you try a CPU other than the one you have?

Is the keyboard hooked up? if so unplug it and switch on the PC... does it post now? if so than either the KB is busted or the PS/2 connector... do the same for mouse...

unhook all IDE and Floppy cables... all connectors to the mobo from the front panel except powerswitch... try another heatsink fan (sensor could be busted thus not allowing the mobo to post)...

there are somany possibilities why a mobo will not post... most are simple oversights and mistakes one can make...

Ben

PS. your not alone here... we'll get it running...

oooppppssssssss.........

forgot to ask about the most obvious thing why a PC don't post....

did you set the FSB to the correct speed setting for your DURON and voltage... check your manual on the mobo...

Ben

Try pressing and holding down the "Insert" key on the keyboard when you power it on (and keep holding it up to about 30 seconds) and see if you get video and the system to post. Don't use the insert key on the numberpad, but rather the one above the arrow keys.

OR If that doesn't work for you:

Press and hold down BOTH mouse buttons on the mouse when you power on the system.

See if one of those gets it to post!

Good luck!

Back to the first few responses (about hearing a sequence of beeps) "are there any beeps with the speaker connected ?"

Thanks all for the tips
I got tired of try new things talked to tec. He suggested that I send the Moterboard back. So it in the box on the way back thanks for all your help. I will let you know if it was a bad Motherboard. I recheck the ram,the video cards, all work OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back