Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COmputer will not boot after freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I recently formatted fdisked, and re installed windows98 on my computer. I played for a bout 8 hrs on it fine, then i Began receiveing blue screen after blue screen with fatal od and fatal oe errors, also get errors with Vxd.... So I went to reisnatall windows again thinknig that was the problem. I went to my BIOS settings to change my boot sequence so that It would boot the CD-rom first so i could re-install windows, and My PC froze in the BIOS screen, now my computer will not boot at all, I turn on my computer and the hdd light comes on and stays on solid my cd rom light blinks and is detected as normal, but there is no display on my screen, any help??! thanks

Forgive me if this seems basic to you, but I do not know your level of knowledge!!!

I would first open the case and ensure that all fans are spinning (and spinning well). Most important is your CPU fan.

If these are fine, then you will want to remove any unneeded hardware (keep your video card, cpu, cpu fan, mb, ram). Try to boot the computer. If you can get video, get into BIOS, etc, then hook things back up one at a time.

If not, then look at other possiblities--clear CMOS (don't think that is it), replace vid, cpu, ram, mb, power supply one at a time until it works.

Good luck, please post back with updates! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

ok, I had already made sure all of my fans were working, my computer seems to be booting fine ther eis jsut on dispaly, I replaced the hard drive with one that i know works for sure. I have already tried reseting my CMOS but to no avail, Im not sure what to do next if I cant get any display, in my last post, i said that my pc froze while i was in the BIOS changing my settings. Could that have cause any problems? maybe hardware problems with my motherboard or harddrives???

Not likely that it would have hurt anything....most of the times something like that occurs, it simply does not save the settings that you may have changed. It DOES, however, suggest a hardware failure (due to bad hardware, setting, whatever).

I think that you are saying that you are booting fine, there is just no display....If that is wrong, please tell me..... :)

If there is no display, then you may want to try a different monitor, next try different video card. If that does not solve it, then I would still strip everything down to the basics...somewhere down the line you will find the offending part...it is just a matter of elimination. I know that this kind of sucks, but it really is the best way to get the issue narrowed down. ----------------------------------------

Okay,assuming you have an AGP video card...you need to enter the bios to be able to change the standard video card to AGP as it seems to be stuck on PCI.

To do this,you will need an old PCI card. Remove the AGP card replace it with the PCI.Boot up,go into BIOS and change the setting to AGP. Save the setting,turn off the computer and replace the AGP card.

It should boot up fine.

I hope I've not misunderstood your problem,but this is a common one. :)

PAUL

Hello and thanks for all of the help, I took out all of the extra things i had sound card modem etc. and left only the necessary cleaned off everything and made sure everything was attached fine, And i booted up fine :) so its working good now all i have to do is get my sound card working properly.....

P.S. DorothyDix I am usinga PCI video card

Glad to hear it! If you run into any snags, post back! ----------------------------------------

From your last post I gather you stripped the system down completely and rebuilt it, correcting the problem.

For future reference the symptoms you describe (System doesn't boot, HDD LED always on) are typical of an IDE cable inserted back to front on the motherboard or one of the devices.

I guess I have the similar problem , but it is not booting at all, I removed the new sound blaster card but still it is not booting, all the fans are spinning fine

Most vxd errors are from cards where an address conflicts. Make sure you have irq's that don't conflict.

My pc won't recognize my HDD ! Any ideas ? I've replaced with another still same symptom !!>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back