Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer very very slow on startup after ME reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

treesha

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
GH
Hi,
My computer crashed, and since I reloaded me and got back up and running, it takes about 45 seconds for the me logo to stop, then I get a blank greyishgreen screen with a flashing dash only, up in the left top corner, that lasts for about a minute, then a hp logo for a bit, and finially my desktop. This leaves plenty of time for a short vacation. Anyway, it it a pain. I have what was a hp pavilion, an AMD athlon 750, 128 ram, floppy & cdrom, WIN me. I am already using selective startup and I believe I have everything unchecked that I can. Any suggestions appreciated, Treesha

Hi there,

I had a similar experience where I use Windows 2000 Pro, and when the startup logo was displayed, it stopped loading for exactly 90 seconds every time.

Two weeks later my 80GB (data) hard disk died.
(BIOS and O/S couldn't detect it)

I lost quite a bit of data, as I was halfway thru burning it all to CD.

I'd advise you to back up your important files first.(I assume you reloaded windows without formatting the hard disk)

Cheers.

Hi,
When the computer crashed, it took out the hard drive, so this is a new hard drive, as well as a new power supply, cdrom. Treesha

Are you installing from the Windows OEM cd or from a Brand name (ie, Compaq etc)?...The flashing horizontal bar indicates that the system is trying to load a piece of software.
If this is a Brand name recovery cd then this loads all of their junk especially and AV package that often prevents bootup or just slows it to a crawl.
Either way you want to enable boot logging and check the log for the load order and then start testing things out using MSconfig to systematically turn off items on bootup (the startup items group is a good place to start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back