Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer suddenly stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My computer was working fine, but then I restared it and Windoes (ME) started acting as if every piece of hardware was new and unknown. It started saying it was installing drivers for this and that new piece of hardware, then it seemed to freeze. I reset the computer and then it started without the hardware thing, but it started very slowly, the mouse only worked on and off, and it froze again before all the initial programs were up. It did this again when reset again. (I am using a neighbor's computer right now.)
I know the likely answer to this is that it could be any number of things, but I was just wondering if anyone out there had any idea what might be causing something like this or if there is a virus currently going around that follows this pattern or something.
Thanks for any possible help.

I'd put my money on it being a virus. Are you able to get a Virus Scan in before it locks up? If not, try starting it in safe mode and then running a virus scan.
As you said it could be a few things but this would be the first thing I'd think of.

Do yourself a huge favour and dump the ME system, i can garuentee you that your problems have only started, ME was microsofts biggest flop, do yourself a favour and install 98SE or Windows 2000 if your pc can handle it then even try XP

Good luck
SMILY1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back