Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Startup Lets Me Choose Windows Professional or Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastavic

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
My friend has been having this problem for a while now, but he just told me about two or three days ago. I have seen this problem before, but I cannot remember how to fix it.

When his computer starts up, he is taken to a black screen with white text that asks him to choose if he wants to start up with Windows Professional or Windows Home. There is a timer under that that goes from about 30 seconds and counts down to 0, I believe.

Anyone know how to fix this? I did a Google search, but typing in both "Professional" and "Home" turns up way too many results that I cannot sort through.

Thanks,
-=ViC

Okay as I recall you open Star/Run and type in C:\Boot.ini

You cannot manually browse for this file since it is completely hidden. Here you should be able to make adjustments to the Boot Selector.

Mel in the UK

right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, Setttings.

Edit the line as appropriate. You can just select a default startup and set the timer to just a few seconds.

You can also edit the boot.ini file in Msconfig:

Start, Run, msconfig

You will see a tab for Boot.ini

Thanks to both of you! =)

I went to the Settings section of System as bcastner said, and that worked out for my friend.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back