Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer starts but monitor does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinitymarie

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
We have a clone pc running xp pro. Before starting pc in the morning have to unplug pc and plug it back in just so the monitor will come up with the pc. This problem just started a week ago. Up until then no problems.
Had another problem like this with same kind of pc (no longer around) that when you press the start button nothing happened until you unplugged and plugged it back in.

THe monitor is not coming out of power save.

I'll bet that it you shut the monitor off (instead of unplugging it) and turn it back on, you'll get the same results (with it coming on).

Check:

In the bios, if there's a setting for turning off the monitor, and more specifically, HOW It turns it off.

Also check:
In your screen saver settings, under power management.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Tried shutting monitor off, unplugging monitor from PC and I shut screensaver off on users. Will look into BIOS.
Thanks

trinitymarie,

Examine that VGA or DVI connector carefully. Look for bent/missing/partially missing pins. Failing that, the rest of the symptoms (unplugging PC to make work) scream PSU. Could be the monitor is not receiving the "power good" signal from PC. If removing the plug from the wall, waiting, then plugging back in fixes it, that's a failing PSU. Try another, they are cheap and good insurance for future head-scratchers.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back