Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Stall

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnE

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
DE
I own an HP Pavillion m1170n. Lately it's been stalling for about five seconds at no particular intervals. I've performed a diagnostic using PC Tools to no avail. Virus scan with Norton comes up empty also. The only difference, besides the stalls, that I see in the computer's performance is that I don't hear the cpu fan kick into high gear. I did check the fan and it does run. Anyone have any ideas???

Dumbfounded

See if Ad-aware, Spybot, and Hijack This find any spyware lurking around your system.

Another thing, a utility called msconfig in windows controls alot of programs starting up which can cause lag on a computer. To access or get to it, go to start, run, then type msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab and look up the items that are checked in there. The only ones that I leave checked are keyboard shortcuts, antivirus or firewall. If your are on windows 98 or millenium you will have some system files in there that should remain checked. In order to figure out what is which you can usually find most on this site below. If you come across one that is not on this site you can google it and usually find it. If you cant find any information on it chances are it should not be checked.

A lot of time you will find references to certain programs in your msconfig as electronicsfreak has pointed out.
These references belong to certain programs that believe they must run every time your pc is started. Not true, of course.
qttask.exe is one good example. It belongs to quicktime, which believes it is so important that it should be running in case you need it. Not so.
Same with msmsgs, which is part of windows messenger, not needed of course.
adobe reader speed launch is another
event reminder and forget me not - these are from card making progs - usually not needed or wanted.

There are many many more. They are there because if you do end up needing to use a certain program, this certain program likes to have a head start by being in your startup, but they bog your pc down too much.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I did the spyware scan with none to show. I also ran the msconfig and removed a bunch of programs in startup. Thanks for that advice. Now my computer boots faster but still has it's periodic stall. Any other ideas? I'm banging my head against the wall with this one...

have you checked the hard drive for errors? (chkdsk)

Unless you added RAM, your system comes with 512 MB.
And if you're using Windows XP and are multi-tasking when the stalling happens, then the system may be running out of unused RAM thus causing the virtual memory to activate.
Check the status of the VM, and the amount of unused RAM when the problem happens. If the unused RAM is near zero and the VM is activating, then add another 512 MB of RAM.

You could also try the following site for an spyware scan.

Try, the online scan. Or Download and run the trial version.
This helped me recently to get rid of a nasty Freeprod Toolbar infection, amongst other crud on my system.

After the scan, everything has been running fine.

Thanks, all the spyware scans come up negative. I just upgraded my RAM and the stall exists but it's now negligible. I appreciate your help!

You may have system files that have been altered (usually by installing apps that overwrites them with older versions).

Go to Start > Run, and type: sfc /scannow

System File Check may request your original install CD. If it autoruns and trys to install XP, click Exit but leave the CD in place until System File Check completes

What's running on the system when the stalling happens, and what do you mean by 'it's now negligible'?

What is the CPU temperature when the stalling happens?

Look in the Control Panel under "Fast Start". This is the "Indexing" program. Under the "sceduling" heading, you may see a connection between the times it is set to run, and when you are having problems. Also check out any other "Scheduled" activities, you may find Norton and other programs checking for updates.

You can also look in Task Manager Processes tab and see what is using CPU time (click CPU to sort by time). I found Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta (gcasServ.exe) was sucking major CPU time every few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back