Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Shutting Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachineBoy

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hi, my computer (HP model with Windows 98) constantly shuts off completely (the power light is off). This seems to occur only with I am browsing the Internet with either IE or Netscape. I have cleaned the computer internally and the fan seems to be working okay. If anybody has a suggestion of how to fix this I would appreciate it.

Do any parts of the computer get really hot near the shutdown time?

Also, try reseating the cards and RAM, as the RAM or cards may be loose. ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

It does sound heat related. Have a look in the PC BIOS at the CPU temperature. 50F=EXCELLENT, 70F=OK, 90F=PROBLEM.
Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I would also say it is heat related but it may be a "heat-activated" short in the motherboard..

or, in the power supply itself.

Have them looked at !!

Murray

Thank all of you for replying - I will try these posts tonight and see what happens.

this was happening to me. turned out to be the processor fan and heatsync were not clamped down correctly.

I would also try only running you computer with the essential componants. take out any unneccary ram, modems, nics, ext..

I am gonna suggest, since you are running win98, that you run the "fix internet explorer" prog that runs in access\syst tools\sys info. Its just possible that you have a quirk that needs to be ironed out and it can't hurt any either, but I think that would be after you check the potential heat prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back