Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer shuts off by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag83

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have a K6-2 500 mhz computer that I'm trying to put linux on except it keeps shutting itself down whenever I try to install it. Can somebody please give me reasons as to why this would happen. The fan works, the memory is brand new, and the cpu isn't overheating. Thanks :)

Did you totally format the drive and repartition before attempting to intall Linux? Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Could be you're trying to install it on an ms-dos formatted partition ??????

Cya

PAUL (Dorothy Dix)

Hard drive is totally formated. Same problem occurs when I try to install Windows. NEed to know what type of hardware problem would cause this. thanks

Did you try unplugging all non-essential hardware and then try each peice one by one? This will give you the indication of a bad component. Install with one hardrive, one stick of memoery, a video card, floppy, and cd. Let me know what happens I will check back tomorrow! Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Does your version of Linux support the AMD K6 chip? Is it a recent release? What version is it? There are many.Are you running two operating systems or just Linux?

Let us know

PAUL

funny, my computer did just the same thing... I have also an amd k6-2 processor with 450mhz. I tried and I tried and I tried installing linux untill finaly I went trough all the installation proces (red hat linux 7.2). Victory!!! Yeah right... now I had a very unstable linux operating system... (sigh)... I just went back to my windows partition, who also was everything but stable. I couldn't install anything else but w98 se... NOTHING ELSE!!! You can't believe how much this is frustrating..... The install proces would just stop, and sometimes restart the computer. The installation of w98se went fine but (as mentionned above) highly unstable.
A few days ago a friend of mine gave me the advice of trying a different set of ram-memory and for all I can see now, my system is much more stable!! All I have to try now is install an other version of windows (or install linux) to see if it was my problem...
I hope this little :))) story can help you...

yes I have tried unistalling everything and only using necessary components that didn't help. I got it to install red hat linux 7.0 but crashes when trying to upgrade or install 7.1 or 7.3. I bought some new ram and put that in but that was when it let me install 7.0 and nothing else. thanks for all the input hope this answers your questions.

The following site mentions crashes due to the UDMA mode with a Western Digital hard drive:

C:\My Documents\FIC Technical Support - General Motherboard FAQs.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back