Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer shuts down for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squrl79

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
A guy in the office with me has a 1.3 Ghz. with AMD Thunderbird proccessor. The computer is running windows XP proffessional. Ok, The problem The computer will shut down for no reason right in the middle of programming it has become quite a huge pain. If anyone has any ideas on how i can eliminate this problem please let me know

Hello,

The shutdowns are probably caused by a bad or weak power supply. I would check the power supply and get a 300 Watt power supply at least.

Brad

I would agree that it maybe the power supply. I had the same problem. I upgraded my power supply to a 400 watt and viola no shut downs ever since...

Certain hardware requires more voltage

Here are my spec:
MSI K7t266-Pro2a
AMD 1800 XP
512 Meg DDR 2100 (Crucial)
40 Gig Hard drive (Western digital)
52x Cd-Rom (Creative Labs)
400 Watt power supply (was 300 watt)
Visiontek Geforce 4 Xtasy TI 4600

That's about it. I have tried a bunch of other things before replacing the power supply. you can kindof get an early warning sign if you listen close to your PC, it will make a sound kinda like it is slowing down or like it is being drained of power... (hard to describ the sound it makes)

Well good luck

LvWeb1
had a 300 watt power supply in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back