Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer serial numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecoolish

Programmer
Jan 26, 2005
US
Hi! i was wondering if SMS reports the serial numbers of the client computers.

thanks!

Yes. I don't remember if I had to modify the sms_def.mof for 2003 or not. I know it can be done.

really? Do you know of any place that would have instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

*** This is all for 2003***

I'm sure some people will agree that I have a strange way of doing things. Whenever I had to make a custom report I created a new view in SQL Enterprise Manager and linked to the view. I always found this to be easier than trying to use SMS to create the report from scratch.... So with that little disclaimer being said:

The sms_def.mof part is easy - I just don't remember if you need to do it or not (I don't think so). Browse to \SMS\inboxes\clifiles.src\hinv and open sms_def.mof in notepad after you make a copy of it. Look in this file to see what is collected from the PCs. You can also get installed printer information by making some changes in here. You'll get used to the format of the file.

Here is a stupid query I use to get the serial number of all machines. Create a new view in Enterprise manager and put this in the sql field. Like I said - I don't think you need to modify the sms_def.mof to get the info you want. You just need a query / report to pull it out.

SELECT dbo.PC_BIOS_DATA.SerialNumber00, dbo.System_DATA.Name0
FROM dbo.PC_BIOS_DATA INNER JOIN
dbo.System_DATA ON dbo.PC_BIOS_DATA.MachineID = dbo.System_DATA.MachineID

As far as more detailed instructions - sorry - I did this a long time ago. I got most of my info just by looking and seeing what different tables contained and went from there

aaaa, PC_BIOS_DATA, that's what i've been looking for! Thank you! I couldn't find the table that had serial number in it. I guess i should have looked harder :)

thank you very much =)
joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back