Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Serial Number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scasystems

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
GB
I wish to incorporate a licencing scheme. (already done this but using computer name) is there some way of getting the computer serial number to incorporate into the licence key

Hi:

This topic has been discussed before. A search finds many threads, in particular thread222-674278.

Please check FAQ222-2244 for tips on getting results.

Cassie

The first question is what serial number? There is no common definition of this for the PC itself although some vendors do support user defined asset tagging in the BIOS.

You should be able to get something from the CPU or of course there's always the MAC address of the network card.

See here:

for more info on getting a (possibly) unique CPU serial number

There is no unique identifier for a PC. Please follow the link that Cassie2002 provided - it details what has been discussed before.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

There is a serial number / pc name.
So what I am doing (and its working fine)is using the filesystem object (as mentioned by paulbent (cheers)) and getting the serial number.
If this is less than 3 chars then i use the computer name instead and incorporate this into the hash encryption

cheers for the help

>There is a serial number

Not for the PC. The serial number you are getting is for simply that of the disk volume, which is susceptible to being changed.

Out of interest, how are you doing the hash and the encryption?

You could always use a combination of things about the hardware such as the MAC address that make that particular PC unique.

--------------------------------------
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out."
-- Delenn in Babylon 5 - "A Distant Star"

StrongM
Found code on the net about using the advapi32.dll, which has functions for among other things creating hash keys. I think it was in CodeArchive or VB2theMax sites.

There is no uncrackable system out there. What we have done is make it VERY difficult for our clients to bypass. To be honest I don't believe that any of our clients will be able to bypass the scheme.
Yes they can change the serial number, but then the licence will be invalid. But some checks on install is better then none. This way we can log the licence keys and keep the number of pc's in use under our control.

If they change the serial number then the licence key which comprises the serial number/ expiry date and hidden password will no longer work for that PC.

Yes they could request a new key saying the old pc was replaced. But when it comes to renewing the licences any discrepancies will show up by the number of licences that need to be renewed.

>There is no uncrackable system out there

Very true. But knowledge helps in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of any given strategy.

In this case, the knowledge that the serial number you are dealing with is

a) not expected to be unique; and
b) can be changed by the user

may prove useful.

Good to see you've discovered the CryptoAPI; so many people don't realise it exists and go and get 3rd party libraries that do the same thing...

For those interested in the subject who have yet to figure out how to use it, here's my last posting of example code: thread222-535644

The only third party software that we have purchased is mappoint for displaying locations of sites.
I do not belive in purchasing third party code/controls I would rather have ALL the source code under my control.
The information for coding, whatever the subject, can be found and incorporated with a little study.
The system we now have in place will automatically install / update databases when changes are made etc
Most of this is done using API calls.

P.S. This has got to be the NO 1 site for finding answers to coding problems. Most of my queries have resulted in answers/solutions.
The only one outstanding is the Binding to a DtPicker control? I have got around this by using a non visible text box which is bound to the date field. Not elegant but it works.

scasystems,

You say <P.S. This has got to be the NO 1 site for finding answers to coding problems. Most of my queries have resulted in answers/solutions.> but you still haven't marked a single post as helpful. Any reason? (Hint read faq222-2244 para 15)

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Johnwm
Only just found out above giving stars. will do so in the future. Sorry for taking so long to reply. been busy

strongm,

For some reason you cannot seem to get more than five stars for the post you have pointed us to... You deserve more.

Thanks

Matt

You can get more than 5 stars in one thread, but only 5 are actually shown. They all go to your star count, whether shown or not.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back