Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer running like poor -->Winlogon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedh

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
Hi!

I am repairing a computer that has win2k pro, but the caveat is that it was installed ontop of win98 and kept fat32. When the computer boots up, winlogon starts to suck up ALL system resources is comp is on for 10 mins, in taskmgr-->processes winlogon will have 8 mins of cpu taken) I added more RAM and nothing. Any clues?? Can I disable Winlogon? The computer isn't on a network. I didn't do install so I really have no further info about how it was installed/config'ed....

Thanks for all of your help...

Jesse

As far as I can remember, you cannot disable winlogon, because winlogon is an actual part of the boot sequence when you logon to the computer. After you enter your login/pass at the login screen, winlogon initializes, and I believe it manages sending the access token to the local security database, to grant you access to the local computers data, etc.

I cant think of any easy way to fix this problem other than backing up any data you have, reformatting, creating new NTFS partitions, and doing a clean install of Win2k. That way you can be sure that there is no conflicts with win98.

Another idea is in the task manager, you might try setting the priority of winlogon to a lower level by right clicking on it in the processes tab. I am not sure how that will affect things since I dont mess around with that very often, so be warned.

Your best bet would be doing a new clean install i believe.

mgicash

I was just looking through some other threads, and I happened to run across this thread, check this out, it might help also.

thread616-263204

mgicash

Read

thnx for your help, it found the Klez virus, Can winlogon be infected and since it is alway in use, not be cleaned?

You can also troll around Microsoft.com for any Windows 2000 datacenter tools and look for a tool called "WinLogon Debugger" it is originally shiped with the Tech Net SP CD, and comes with a other usefull tools like event viewer, Application compatibility tool (allows you to run prgrams written for older os's), and the abilty to see what other files a process is linked to. The original owner may have been playing around with security policies, and if so then the security DB may have superfluos entries that are extending the time it takes for WINLOGON to finalize.

OK, I downloaded the Klez cleaner from Kapernsky Labs, I ran it and it found pretty much everything infected w/Klez. Whatever it can not clean, it kills. Does anyone know if I have to worry about it killing critical system proecess and making the computer a big footstool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back