Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer restarting every-other day at 1-1:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespa61

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
This is driving me crazy, my boss's computer restarts it's self every other day between 1 & 1:30pm without any kind of notice. I've checked the event log, scheduled tasks and there is nothing logged that would explain the restarts. The screen simply goes black and the machine restarts. I unplugged it from the APC unit it was plugged into and plugged it straight into a new surge protector, and it still restarted.

The machine is a barebone Shuttle XPC with a P4 3.8ghz processor with 1 gig ram.

Any suggestions?

Live, laugh, love, RIDE,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

"Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Does this happen while he is working at it? or when it is idle?

Hi there couple of quick things to look at,

1. At CMD prompt type AT see if there are any listings
2. If winXP check automatic updates schedule and maybe look at c:\windows\Windows Update.log an make sure
3. If the machine is on a domain, make sure there is no group policy setup to reboot machines at a certain time of day

4. Virus scan or Spyware scan should be run on the entire system. Or check to make sure VScan updates are not set to reboot machine

would be nice to know system OS, Domain/Wrkgrp

good luck

The machine is running XP Pro on a Domain. I checked the group policy and there is nothing set in the policies for this machine, or any other machines to restart. Autoupdates are off and nothing in the log since the last manual update a few weeks ago.

The virus defs are up to date and the scans show no virus actions/problem. I am running spybot and spyware right now.

I'll repost after running the spyware checks.

THANKS,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

"Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just check your BIOS as well to see if anyone has been playing about in there. Some of the settings can cause a reboot or startup.

Also check all the programs you have in the start menu.
One other thing, you could go to startup menu by clicking on run, type in msconfig, then go to startup. You may very well find the program that is rebooting your program. All you have to do is uncheck it there but i would go to the program and take it out of there as well, that is, if there is such.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back