Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcboy1

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
CA
My computer reboots most of the time it reboots when MSN intantmesanger is being used. It rebooted when I tried to convert a avi file to mp2 using nero. Is possible to that the power supply is not working?
I am using XP pro

Yes, but there are so many other possibilities.
Try swapping the PSU if possible, but you could start with the RAM, that's simpler. If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Could be. I'd try updating the motherboard drivers first (and the BIOS if you know how).

You really need to cut down on the possibilities by examining and eliminating anything and everything that could cause this kind of thing. It could be nearly anything.... I had a friend who's machine rebooted randomly whenever he had both of the reovable sides of the computer case removed..... we eventually came to the conclusion that the sides of the case contributed significantly to the stability of the whole and that if neither side was on then even a small vibration could cause an electrical circuit to ground somewhere rebooting the machine.

Something I read recently was that having Adaptec/Roxio's EZCD Creator installed can cause your machine to act strangely, some of the possbile symptoms were spontaneous rebooting when burning a CD.

Like I said it could be anything. What you need to do is make a comprehensive inspection of the machine to make sure there's nothing obviously wrong with it physically, then I'd look at installing/re-installing the latest service pack also ... that can often help in this type of situation where you don't know where the problem originates.

Good Luck,

markoff

Hi
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ran spyware removal program and up dated windows with the serivce pack. So far no problems.

bcboy,
Have you taken a look at the temp on your system. Many times heat issues are the cause of a spontainious reboot. The fact that it rebooted while you were converting the avi file would support that. CPU intensive things cause the CPU to heat up more. A good program to use is Speed Fan.

DeeJay 33 [deejay]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back