Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer reboots from static

Status
Not open for further replies.

frikfrak3

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
CA
Hi,

I need help in figuring out a problem. The computers here at work seem to reboot from a static discharge. Let me give you a scenario. I rub my feet against the carpet. I touch the shelf (not the computer but the shelf on top of the computer) and it reboots the computer.

I really need ot fix this problem becuase it's kinda rediculous.

Can anybody pleae help with this one??

Is the PC earthed?(ie is the earth cable connected to the chasis?
This looks extremely dangerous if this is whats really happening!
Is it a metal shelf and does the metal part touch the PC's or any part of elictrical cabeling? This is not normal behaviour.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Like kippy13 says make sure the computers and outlets are properly grounded. make sure the PSU is bonded to the case.

Hi,

By earthed, do you mean "grounded" ??

Yes, it is grounded (earthed)

Yes, the shelf is metal and is above the computer. It does not touche the PC at all.

I really need to solve this problem becuase it's really bad.

Any help please is greatlt appreciated

thanks
FF

HI,

Bonded to the case??? (Im sorry I'm a programmer not a electrician) so the terms you're using are not familiar.

Bonded to the case??? screwed to the case?? is that whatyou mean?

thanks

FF

Does the shelf at any place-or linked to any place touch a cable?
I am highly suspicious that the shelf touches a bare cable somewhere along the line.
I would advise getting an electrician in as soon as possible, especially if this is effecting more than one PC.
Its a serious helth and safety issue at best, a death trap at worst.
Even though it seems pretty minor it signals a serious fault somewhere, perhaps the shelves are screwedinto the wall and the screw is hitting a buried power cable......
Get a pro in!

Check the building electrical system with a $5 tester from the local hardware store...for ground lift (open ground), reversed hot and nuetral, etc...one i have has 3 lights on front and 3 pronged.....plug it in and it shows the wiring config with a red and 2 yellows ....whichever ones light up tell you of config. If the wall plug has only 2 prongs and no third ground, get a 39cent wall adapter and screw the copper hole on adapter to face plate screw (this presents a problem sometimes with double outlet configs cause the adapter with one WIDE (neutral) and one NARROW (Hot) blade only allow for you to screw the ground into the face plate in one outlet...ie upside down/backwards (Do it and you'll see what I mean)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

FWIW while you're at Home Depot or whatever..they sell 5-6" square by approx 1/8" thick RUBBER rust colored pieces, meant to go in between steel Lolly columns and concrete for non-corrosive purposes....their cheap, and a quick fix

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Guys, I think you are missing the safety issue here.
This should not be done by a non qualified person as there are some safety issues to be taken into consideration.

There is a few ways to stop this.

1/ Replase the metal shelf with a wooden one.

2/ Spray an antistatic solution on the carpet short term).

3/ Replace the carpet with an antistatic carpet. (the best and long term solution)

That should solve the problem.

John

It'd be cheaper to brin in an electrician than do to either step 1 or 3 above and a guarenteed resolution.

If your computer is plugged into a "surge protector" and the device is older than two years, replace it.

I had a site with a similar issue, brought in electricians, etc.. and replacing the surge protectors when the MOVs are dead fixed the issue.

If this was affecting one computer, I'd agree with bcastner. If more than one, definitely get a pro in there before you find out how good your company insurance really is!

It'd be cheaper to brin in an electrician than do to either step 1 (or 3) above and a guarenteed resolution.

you've gotta be kiddin' me [pipe]

I don't know where you live, but where I come from a licensed electrician commands atleast $35/hr. (and they're worth it for most things).
Yes a mis-driven screw shank "could" be the culprit.(especially if the interior wiring is Romex).
Wood shelving in general is a better idea anyway, and much cheaper if you're handy, however i doubt it's directly related to the issue at hand

TT4U

Notification:

I am not gonna start arguing about the costs-does life have a price?

I am not gonna start arguing about the costs-does life have a price?

Yeh, you could get run over by a bus any second....what're you willing to do about it, is all that matters!

TT4U

Notification:

Yes and bringing in an electrician will guarantee that ur doing something about it while not putting urself in danger.
I agree that a screw is probably hitting some wiring under the wall, however bring in someone who knows what they are doing.

Can we please establish the facts here!!

Is this just one computer that is doing this?

If you swop this computer for another plugged into the same outlet, does it still do the same thing?

If you plug this computer (say with an extension lead) into another outlet (next room) does it still do the same thing

Now you can see by a simple process you can determine if it is a supply fault (wall socket, cabling to PC) OR the PC itself.

If it turns out to be the PC then your cheapest option would be to renew the power cable (just in case) and the PSU (about $25)

If the supply, then get an electrician in to sort it out.

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back