Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Reboots at POST 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocmills

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
Hi All!

Well, I've got a new problem at home. My husband's computer was running fine last night - no new software or hardware installed, anti-virus up to date, AdAware run regularly. The system locked up while he was using Digital Orchestrator (not uncommon) so he had to reboot. Now the system is locked into a reboot cycle - video bios info comes up, then the POST - then it reboots and the cycle starts all over.

We have checked the RAM both by putting his sticks in my machine and by putting my sticks in his machine. We pulled and reseated all cards, including the CPU. Motherboard appears undamaged. Power supply is new and running fine. Used canned air to clean all the dust out.

I'm fresh out of ideas... Can anyone here help?

Thanks!

--Roc

Do you mean it doesn't even start loading 2k?

Have you tried recovery console and then run chkdsk?
If you can do this & it doesn't improve matters, a repair reinstall might be way to go (boot from 2k install CD, choose new install, not repair. It should find installtion and offer repair. Accept this. Leaves data, settings, apps intact, loses windows updates).

If you can't access recovery console, can you boot from a 98 boot floppy - and check if fdisk can see the partition (as non-dos if ntfs)?

Wolluf:

We can't get anywhere near the boot sequence, floppy, CD, or otherwise. We get the video bios info, the POST with RAM info and then it reboots again, and again and again...

However, the disk partitions should be FAT32. We only recently upgraded this machine to 2000, and I know we did not change the partitions to NTFS.

--Roc

Ok - so I'd suggest a minimal hardware approach - disconnect everything (or disable in bios if onboard - assuming you can access bios settings) except keyboard & graphics card monitor (ie, hard, floppy, DVD/CD drives, expansion cards) & see if it will boot - without rebooting itself. If it will - connect back one at a time.

If it won't - try single stick RAM, a different graphics card, if you can get into bios settings, there's usually a failsafe/default setting which should make machine slow & stable - try that. Also try slowing down speed of processor (bios or jumper/switch setting usually).

Wolluf:

We can't get into the bios, either. We get the screen where you are told to press DEL to enter bios, but pressing delete does nothing - the machine just reboots as soon as it is finished testing the ram. We've already tried booting with only a single stick of ram - with four different sticks, at least two of which are verifiably good (they came from my machine). We've also tried booting with only minimal hardware connected, makes no difference.

I'm beginning to think the motherboard may have died, despite the lack of any visual evidence of such. That, or perhaps the CPU gave up the ghost - it is an old AMD K6 450 mhz processor, so it dying isn't beyond the realm of posibilities.

It may be time for a new computer..., not that I'm giving up yet!

Thanks for all your help!

--Roc

I'd tend to agree with your dead/dying mobo/cpu diagnosis - have you got another socket 7 cpu you could try?

What about running cpu at slower speed - that age of cpu, mobo's possibly got jumpers/switches to control this rather than bios/auto.

Anyway - good luck!

What are you running for virus protection? Latest Norton/Symantec products have problems with W2K and FAT32. Have had to convert more than one to NTFS.

What about reseting the BIOS???

Use the jumper method if you can or simply remove the BIOS battery for a couple of minutes and then put it back in....

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. (Albert Einstein)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

I agree with what mstrmage1768 says. Try and clear out the BIOS via battery removal or jumper. Make sure to unplug it from the wall also. While the battery is out try reseating processor and anything else that's in a socket.

mstrmage1768 and ImpetusEra!

Thank you thank you, and boy do I feel dumb! I haven't had to reset CMOS in years and years, so it never occurred to me, but THAT DID THE TRICK! Cleared the CMOS, re-entered the pertinent data, and the computer is back to normal!

Thank you thank you thank you!

--Roc
(hanging her head in shame)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back