Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

computer reboots at logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudusa

MIS
Sep 19, 2001
US
Two computers reboot at logon once or twice then logon without a problem. No reboots occur once the user is logged on and working.

What could be the cause? I have replaced Video card, NIC and RAM to check for faulty components. THought of Power Supply but it only happens at logon?

Thanks

Have you checked the logon scripts? We've had a few people play around with the logon scripts and it would do the same thing. I'm not sure of the specifics as I'm mostly a hardware guy, but I would definitely check it out. Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

That one sounds software related, I once had that problem with win2k, and pcanywhere, said something about video compatibility, which related to the software adjusting to the video driver, time for a sanity check, what software had you loaded previous to the problem?

I would take a hard look at the software side . autoexe.bat and config.sys to see if something was tell the system to reboot.
You could rem out lines in these that you don't really need.
If your running 98> run msconfig and uncheck items in the startup (autoexe/config.sys) until you uncover the problem.
Just might do it???

No new programs have been installed...i disabled the logon script and will see if it's a conflict there.

Also will take a look at Auto and COnfig if that doesn't work. Have already disabled items not needed via startup @ MSCONFIG.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back