Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer rebooting on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGoudie

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
CA
I was playing around. I setup a script that would send a key stroke to the remote server to keep the connection alive whenever a certain string was sent to the connected client. This was done using when match call stuff. i had a infinite loop after my when statements with the yield command inside the infinite loop. every seems to work just fine, andthen about 48 hours later the computer reboots.

has anyone had this happen? this script is running 24 hours a day.

I have procomm on windows 98.

It's possible that the script is causing enough resources to be leaked that the reboot occurs. Can you post the relevant part of your script so we can look it over?

I assume that the machine does not reboot if you are not running Procomm for the 48 hours?

If i'm running procomm by itself connected to a server its fine. it is just when a script like this runs for 48 hours approximately.

when target 0 "Inactivity Warning" call Hit_Key
while 1
yield
endwhile

proc Hit_Key
transmit "#"
endproc

please excuse my script :) I play a text based game, i'm just trying to learn aspect scripting. I play a game called Tradewars 2002 :p I know this is a technical forum, but i'm not talking about the game, i'm talking about aspect.

Thanks a bunch
James

Is this pretty much the entire script though? I'll have to see if I can find a machine to try this on, but I would hope that a script like that wouldn't cause a leak of resources and a reboot.

ya, it is a very simple script. I don't have anything extensive happening. Hope you guys can shed some light on it for me.

I appreciate everyones help.

A speculative guess.

Is it possible that some scheduled utility on the PC is happening (e.g. scandisck) that the script is interfering with, since the when command puts the script in a constant watch state? Maybe you can check the Windows scheduler, your virus scan schedule, etc. for clues.

If not, maybe it is some sort of memory stack problem. Is the version of Procomm 4.5 or earlier? Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

I will check on the windows scheduler in a few. as for what version i'm running, i just recent downloaded it and it says i have Procomm Plus 4.8, build 71

Hmm, i am running a Tradewars game server too. maybe it is the problem. i will run a simular script connected to a remote machine instead of a local game server and see if i have the same result of my computer restarting on its own.

I was trying something different this time. this time i just left procomm plus open, with nothing else on my laptop

my laptop has 32 megs memory, and is 400 mhz amd

turns out, it rebooted after about 48 hours again. I haven't had these problems with my desktop, so i'm thinking its something to do with my laptop.

thanks for everyones help

Have you tried leaving your laptop on for 48 hours without Procomm running to see if it's a more general problem with the machine? If it happens with only Procomm running and doesn't happen with Procomm not running, then I would try updating your video drivers (and modem drivers and firmware if Procomm was accessing the modem while it was active) and see if that possibly cures the problem.

Hello,

Try Running Windows MSCONFIG and Killing any Processes that You don't need that Eat Resources. Virus Scans and Other Programs Just LOVE to stay Running when you Boot Up. Disable any of the Programs and see what happens.

Right Click on My Computer

Properties / Performance

See how Much Resource is available.

Then :

Start / Run / Msconfig / Startup

Disable anything not needed.

Then Check your Performance again.

Hank

Another thing I thought of a couple hours ago (related to the video driver) was try disabling your screensaver, especially if you are not running one of the screensavers that comes standard with Windows.

We bing back the tradewars tournament with a whole new twist 15 nodes open unlimited turns and unlimited calls eatch call is 2 1/2 hours so you can play as long as you wish. We invite you and all your friends to join us and play free open 24 hour a day. we allow helpers and we give you j-twat to play on our home page for more info goto and we hope to see ya there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back