Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer not staying on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I'm having problems with my custom built system. It is made up of a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTa motherboard, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz, WDC-WD10EZEX 1TB HD, WDC WD500GB HD, 250 GB SSD, NVDIA GeForce 8400GS video board, Vista-View Saber DA-1N1-PCI TV Tuner running Windows XP SP3. It started shutting off for no reason and sometimes not powering back up so I changed from a 600 watts power supply to a 800 watts power supply. I have 4 case fans plus the power supply fan and the cpu fan in it. The few times that it does stay powered up I have to select Windows debugging mode to get it to stay on (about 4 hours). When it is running I have run Ad-Aware Antivirus, Systems mechanics, Malwarebytes and CCleaner, but the problem remains. Anyone has any suggestions? I like this motherboard because it can run both IDE and SATA devices.

I change out both my CPU and heatsink/fan. Installed Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU, a Cooler Master Hyper D92 CPU Air Cooler and added 2M of memory. The thermal paste on the Pentium D that I took out was dust. Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it showed a "check fan and heat sink warning" but it passed all the stress test including the temperature test. Been running 24/7 for about two weeks now. Look like problem is solved. Great advise from everyone, even learned some new things about using the software (Windows Event Viewer). Thank You Everyone.

I'm wondering why you would b getting a warning NOW from the diagnostic tool. Shouldn't this be a concern?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Just one question: Why did you buy a decade-old CPU?

Motherboard support, that's why.
LGA 775 for Intel® Core™ 2 Quad / Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® XE / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D, supporting Quad Core Kentsfield processors

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back