Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer not staying on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I'm having problems with my custom built system. It is made up of a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTa motherboard, Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz, WDC-WD10EZEX 1TB HD, WDC WD500GB HD, 250 GB SSD, NVDIA GeForce 8400GS video board, Vista-View Saber DA-1N1-PCI TV Tuner running Windows XP SP3. It started shutting off for no reason and sometimes not powering back up so I changed from a 600 watts power supply to a 800 watts power supply. I have 4 case fans plus the power supply fan and the cpu fan in it. The few times that it does stay powered up I have to select Windows debugging mode to get it to stay on (about 4 hours). When it is running I have run Ad-Aware Antivirus, Systems mechanics, Malwarebytes and CCleaner, but the problem remains. Anyone has any suggestions? I like this motherboard because it can run both IDE and SATA devices.

This bit

The few times that it does stay powered up I have to select Windows debugging mode to get it to stay on (about 4 hours).

does not make sense.

Because you would only get this option (assuming by 'debugging mode' you mean "Startup in Safe Mode") would be AFTER an unexpected shut down, rather than after a successful start up.

Have you checked the system and software logs in Computer Management -> Event Viewer for any shut down events??

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Agree with ChrisHirst about when you see debugging options. Please be precise when posting your situation/symptoms. Get everything correct with as much detail as possible for us to help. Proof read twice, then post.

Well, you replaced the power supply so it's probably not shutting off due to the power supply being near death.
Do you have a UPS?
If you don't have a UPS, could the power be going off and turning the PC off?
But, I assume you would know if the power goes off.

Filter the Windows Event Viewer with ID of 1074. This should show normal shut downs.
Filter the Windows Event Viewer with ID of 6008. This should show abnormal shut downs. Correlate both of these.

Look in the C:\WINDOWS\Minidump folder and see if the dates of any files correlate to the 6008 entries.
If you have files in there, you can upload to online blue screen analyzer to see what might have caused it.

Stupid question - system is not set to go into HIBERNATION or SLEEP after set period of time, right????

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Have you checked your power settings to make sure that you have NEVER defined on the current power plan for both "turn off the display" and "put the computer to sleep"

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Beilstwh - not to be snotty, but did I not ask the OP that question?

SO YOU DID, SORRY

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

There's a lot of things that could be causing the problem. Have you checked the following:
- turn off programs are running at Start-up
- check out all of your vents & fans and clean them and make certain they're working properly
- possibly download a motherboard monitor and see if there are temperature or memory problems

To me, it has to be power supply (already checked), blue screening or sleep/hibernation.

Turn reboot after blue screen option OFF in XP. This would help to catch a blue screen rather than hide it.

Right-click on My Computer
Go to Properties
Go to the Advanced tab
At the Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings button
At the System failure section, make sure the “Automatically restart” option is unchecked
Click OK

hobbytech,

Any updates?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I'm still working this problem(weekend only time advailable) I will try every suggestion, gettting good advice from everyone.

Could be thermal. Bad paste, insufficient air flow, etc.

I've seen thermal issues do weird things.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Cleaned fan and checked connections,computer will stay on for 5.5 days /24 hours then start shutting down. Will check thermal paste and cpu fan next. Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed the strees test but failed temperature test. Have 5 fans in case. Maybe its the heat sink.

Well, it's either the heatsink/fan being marginally effective at cooling and/or paste that's breaking down. Doing a quick search, the Pentium D 2.80 seems to run hot with stock cooler.

I said it sounded thermal. :p

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Doing a quick search, the Pentium D 2.80 seems to run hot with stock cooler.

I would concur with that, it's just clicked in this clunky brain of mine that on machines I have built and run with some Pentium 'D' CPUs, "micronised" silver paste and more efficient heat sinks and fans had to be used if I didn't want to be stripping them down almost on a monthly basis to replace the paste as it dried out.

Chris.

I said it sounded thermal. :p
But now we have diagnostic evidence. So now just the exact cause of heat issue.

But now we have diagnostic evidence. So now just the exact cause of heat issue.

Well, not really, as CPU overheat is about the only thing that has not actually been completely eliminated.

Chris.

I've seen this happen (funnily enough on a 775 Pentium D) due to a faulty fan sensor. Although I wouldn't discount the possibility of a faulty thermal sensor on the CPU itself.

Change the fan, if that doesn't help, change the CPU.

I will be ordering a new fan and cpu this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back